 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1886
Subject:
Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.inst, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:19:41 GMT

I’m working my way through a series of 4-wide fire apparatus right now. And while this isn’t the first one in the series, this is the one I’m most happy with up to this point.

For a few reasons:
  • the truck itself came out pretty much exactly as I had planned
  • there is a nice high-res picture of the truck, to show what it should look like
  • the instructions themselves now have the parts list for each step included
Here is a link to the BIP entry for Ladder 110:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=45&review=685&revOn=true

As well, I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=1833

You all provided excellent advice and examples in response to my naive and sometimes clueless questions. For what it’s worth, I think that thread is now a nice set of ‘tips and tricks’ for lighting techniques to use for rendering models in POV-Ray.

Any feedback on the model, the instructions, or the render are most welcome.

Thanks, Allan B.

Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
[...]

Spiffy model. Especially the ladder with the nozzle at the top! Also a great use of arches and rear fenders (how I wish that fender came in a split so you could use it on 6 wide trucks)

Needs more greebles, though. Even ladder trucks have some pumper appurtenances so modeling some of that stuff would add, I think.

The instructions seem well thought out in terms of sequence of steps and having the parts box at each step helps. I know (think?) this is a standard lpub thing now, IIRC but it is nice.

Stylistically though, I just can’t get excited about lightening previous parts to show current step parts, or by the use of rendered parts without strong edge lines. I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that’s just me.

Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
   I’m working my way through a series of 4-wide fire apparatus right now.

   Here is a link to the BIP entry for Ladder 110:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=45&review=685&revOn=true

   Any feedback on the model, the instructions, or the render are most welcome.

Spiffy model. Especially the ladder with the nozzle at the top! Also a great use of arches and rear fenders (how I wish that fender came in a split so you could use it on 6 wide trucks)

I’ve used the 1x4 arch on each of my 3 apparatus so far. I think it helps add realism at this small scale, in the way it hugs the tyres so well.

   Needs more greebles, though. Even ladder trucks have some pumper appurtenances so modeling some of that stuff would add, I think.

I agree. This is why I’m working on a series of vehicles. So I can experiment with varies levels of detail. The 2nd one in the series (Pumper 3) was based on a real engine, unlike this ladder truck. I did try to include more details on it. However, at 4 studs wide you’re looking at a scale of roughly 1 stud to 2 feet actual.(1) Lots of detail, angles, colors etc can change in two feet. Which is actually part of the fun. I enjoy deciding what details can be captured and which ones need to be left out. The other issue you have is that even when you include a detail, it is sometimes out of scale with the rest of the model. But... this is just LEGO and it’s just for fun, so I don’t worry about it. You can see what I mean in the rear hand bar on Pumper 3:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=45&review=654&revOn=true

It’s much too thick, as are the rigid hoses on the driver’s side. But it still ‘represents’ the detail.

Ladder 110 is also really meant to be my homage to this classic set:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/640_1 (2)

Which is why this truck (and all the vehicles in this series) isn’t done to minifig scale. No need for oversized cabs or doors to fit figs, as it’s meant to be a building style that doesn’t take into account a fig riding in the truck.

I even thought about including the 1x2 red brick with the LEGO logo right under the cab window. I may yet render it with that in place. :)

   The instructions seem well thought out in terms of sequence of steps and having the parts box at each step helps. I know (think?) this is a standard lpub thing now, IIRC but it is nice.

It is an option which is selected by default. The way it works for me is that it generates the construction image as one file and the parts list for that step as a second file. All of those images were then manually combined into the steps that I posted. If there’s a way to get LPub to do this automagically, I can’t find it. :)

I personally think there are too many steps for a model this size. That’s another thing I’m experimenting with. I’m hoping the next few will be a bit more efficient.

   Stylistically though, I just can’t get excited about lightening previous parts to show current step parts,

What you see is the default in LPub. I tried backing off that option, so that previous step colors remain at full intensity, but it didn’t end up looking like an official instruction book for some reason. I went back to the default only because there would be little confusion over what the new pieces were. Except of course when you use white pieces, as in the ladder, and then there is confusion. I can’t win. :)

   or by the use of rendered parts without strong edge lines.

Again I went with the default within LPub. (which is .5) What value would you recommend?

   I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that’s just me.

I totally agree. In fact that was something I told Will Hess about his recent 6-wide instructions. I do want to get to that cartoonish look. I guess I just have to figure out what options/settings to lower in order to obtain that look, without sacrificing quality.

I’ve found the learning curve (to produce both instructions and especially renders) to be fairly steep. Maybe that’s just me. Normally I am very comfortable with new software, but not in the case of the suite of programs needed to produce these types of images. I wish there was a very basic tutorial that walked you through producing those ‘cartoon’ type images, for dummies like me who are computer literate, but not graphics literate.

That was why I mentioned the .CAD thread about lighting techniques. Everyone offered such good advice, but it came from a half dozen different people and none of it was information I’d been able to locate online or in any of the help materials included with the apps.

O.K. I’m done griping now. ;)

Thanks for the input Larry! Sorry for the long rambling reply. And just think, I haven’t even had my coffee yet this morning. :)

Regards, Allan B.

(1) The scale fluctuates depending on the vehicle you’re working on. For a newer piece of apparatus, like a Pierce 100 foot ladder for example, the scale really is about 1 stud:2’. For older smaller rigs, like Pumper 3 for example, the scale is more likely about 1 stud:20”. But again, it’s working within the framework of 4-wide, so the differences are to be expected.

(2) The design of the truck in the 640 set was later used in my all-time favorite official set http://guide.lugnet.com/set/357_1.

Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego
themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that's just me.

I totally agree.  In fact that was something I told Will Hess about his • recent
6-wide instructions.  I do want to get to that cartoonish look.  I guess I • just
have to figure out what options/settings to lower in order to obtain that • look,
without sacrificing quality.

Are you referring to the cover page renderings or the actual step
renderings?

Will

Bricksburg Fire Department: http://www.bricksburg.org
GoB Bricksburg Depot: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=willhess

Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego
themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that's just me.

I totally agree.  In fact that was something I told Will Hess about his recent
6-wide instructions.  I do want to get to that cartoonish look.  I guess I just
have to figure out what options/settings to lower in order to obtain that look,
without sacrificing quality.

Are you referring to the cover page renderings or the actual step
renderings?

I think I was thinking of the cover page renderings (the look and feel of which
I'm still trying to copy).

But in looking at them, and your step renderings, and my high-res and my step
renderings, I realize.... they're all different in some way.

I like the soft warm look of your cover page renderings.  I guess that was the
'cartoon' look I was thinking of, though others might describe it differently.
They have a pleasant feel to them.

Your step renderings seem a bit different though.  Were they processed through
LPub?

My high-res pics tend to look too dark and gloomy for me.  While the detail is
o.k. and the colors are o.k. the model itself doesn't have the 'plastic' look to
it that your cover renderings have.

And my step pictures... well, I'm not thrilled with them, but they're getting
the point across I guess.  If I could, wouldn't mind if they looked more like
the style used in official sets, but I need to do more experimenting to get that
look I think.

I guess in my ideal final version of a model, I'd like both my glam shot and my
instructions to look more or less like your cover shots.  I was really impressed
by those and have set that look as my goal.

Regards,
Allan B.

Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
Your step renderings seem a bit different though.  Were they processed
through LPub?

Nope.  They're straight ML-Cad output using a "Line Width" of 3 and an
"Added parts view type" of Highlight.  I save the pictures as 1600 x 1200
bitmaps and scale them down with an image editor.

And my step pictures... well, I'm not thrilled with them, but they're
getting the point across I guess.  If I could, wouldn't mind if they • looked more
like the style used in official sets, but I need to do more experimenting • to
get that look I think.

Mega-POV can do that, but I'm not sure if it works well with POV-Ray 3.5.
The Tips and Techniques section on the Lugnet Building Instructions page
<http://news.lugnet.com/inst/> has some more info on this.

I guess in my ideal final version of a model, I'd like both my glam shot
and my instructions to look more or less like your cover shots.  I was • really
impressed by those and have set that look as my goal.

Check your e-mail :-)

Later,