 Instructions / 461
Re: Instructions for new fire truck - Ladder 110
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:26:37 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:
   I’m working my way through a series of 4-wide fire apparatus right now.

   Here is a link to the BIP entry for Ladder 110:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=45&review=685&revOn=true

   Any feedback on the model, the instructions, or the render are most welcome.

Spiffy model. Especially the ladder with the nozzle at the top! Also a great use of arches and rear fenders (how I wish that fender came in a split so you could use it on 6 wide trucks)

I’ve used the 1x4 arch on each of my 3 apparatus so far. I think it helps add realism at this small scale, in the way it hugs the tyres so well.

   Needs more greebles, though. Even ladder trucks have some pumper appurtenances so modeling some of that stuff would add, I think.

I agree. This is why I’m working on a series of vehicles. So I can experiment with varies levels of detail. The 2nd one in the series (Pumper 3) was based on a real engine, unlike this ladder truck. I did try to include more details on it. However, at 4 studs wide you’re looking at a scale of roughly 1 stud to 2 feet actual.(1) Lots of detail, angles, colors etc can change in two feet. Which is actually part of the fun. I enjoy deciding what details can be captured and which ones need to be left out. The other issue you have is that even when you include a detail, it is sometimes out of scale with the rest of the model. But... this is just LEGO and it’s just for fun, so I don’t worry about it. You can see what I mean in the rear hand bar on Pumper 3:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=45&review=654&revOn=true

It’s much too thick, as are the rigid hoses on the driver’s side. But it still ‘represents’ the detail.

Ladder 110 is also really meant to be my homage to this classic set:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/640_1 (2)

Which is why this truck (and all the vehicles in this series) isn’t done to minifig scale. No need for oversized cabs or doors to fit figs, as it’s meant to be a building style that doesn’t take into account a fig riding in the truck.

I even thought about including the 1x2 red brick with the LEGO logo right under the cab window. I may yet render it with that in place. :)

   The instructions seem well thought out in terms of sequence of steps and having the parts box at each step helps. I know (think?) this is a standard lpub thing now, IIRC but it is nice.

It is an option which is selected by default. The way it works for me is that it generates the construction image as one file and the parts list for that step as a second file. All of those images were then manually combined into the steps that I posted. If there’s a way to get LPub to do this automagically, I can’t find it. :)

I personally think there are too many steps for a model this size. That’s another thing I’m experimenting with. I’m hoping the next few will be a bit more efficient.

   Stylistically though, I just can’t get excited about lightening previous parts to show current step parts,

What you see is the default in LPub. I tried backing off that option, so that previous step colors remain at full intensity, but it didn’t end up looking like an official instruction book for some reason. I went back to the default only because there would be little confusion over what the new pieces were. Except of course when you use white pieces, as in the ladder, and then there is confusion. I can’t win. :)

   or by the use of rendered parts without strong edge lines.

Again I went with the default within LPub. (which is .5) What value would you recommend?

   I like the more cartoonish instructions that Lego themselves do, with big chunky edge lines. But that’s just me.

I totally agree. In fact that was something I told Will Hess about his recent 6-wide instructions. I do want to get to that cartoonish look. I guess I just have to figure out what options/settings to lower in order to obtain that look, without sacrificing quality.

I’ve found the learning curve (to produce both instructions and especially renders) to be fairly steep. Maybe that’s just me. Normally I am very comfortable with new software, but not in the case of the suite of programs needed to produce these types of images. I wish there was a very basic tutorial that walked you through producing those ‘cartoon’ type images, for dummies like me who are computer literate, but not graphics literate.

That was why I mentioned the .CAD thread about lighting techniques. Everyone offered such good advice, but it came from a half dozen different people and none of it was information I’d been able to locate online or in any of the help materials included with the apps.

O.K. I’m done griping now. ;)

Thanks for the input Larry! Sorry for the long rambling reply. And just think, I haven’t even had my coffee yet this morning. :)

Regards, Allan B.

(1) The scale fluctuates depending on the vehicle you’re working on. For a newer piece of apparatus, like a Pierce 100 foot ladder for example, the scale really is about 1 stud:2’. For older smaller rigs, like Pumper 3 for example, the scale is more likely about 1 stud:20”. But again, it’s working within the framework of 4-wide, so the differences are to be expected.

(2) The design of the truck in the 640 set was later used in my all-time favorite official set http://guide.lugnet.com/set/357_1.