 General / 9016
Re: Some disturbing news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:16:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:

Kids of today have grown up around nintendo games and action figures

So did I. There have always been many alternatives to Lego. When I was
younger, you had Star Wars, GI Joe, Atari and Matchbox cars.

You give a kid of today a 5571 giant truck or an 8880 supercar and say here • are
the instructions and here are the bits. see if you can put it together. do you
think that we would get a perfect 5571 or 8880? nope because the kid would • stop
and go play nintendo 64 or playstation or play with his new luke skywalker • action
figure or whatever.
the kids of thday have short attention spans and TLG knows
this. think about this:
if a kid got a 5571 for christmas and got bored with it rarther quickly, which
kids might do then what is the kid going to do? they are going to complain to
their parents, their parents will take the 5571 back and get a 6494 all in one
police/fire station crappy juionerised set that the kid will be able to put
together before they loose interest in it and then they can spend all day • driving
the fire truck or flying the police helicopter around the house. can you pick • up a
8480 space shuttle and fly it around the house making wooshing noises? no, i
thought not.

I strongly disagree. So then I take it that you think juniorization is
necessary?

The things that compete for kids time and attention today are the same ones
that have been around for at least 20 years. Yet, only recently has lego
started to do badly. Kids are not stupid. They see juniorization for what it
is.