 General / 52810
52809  |  52811
Subject:
"State of the Nation"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:41:28 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.people, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   Welcome back Shiri!

Hope now that you completed grad school, you can get out of your dark ages!

I had mine from 2001-2004. But never again!

Unfortunately since you left, there has been a Diaspora of Lego groups leaving Lugnet.... the classic space and castle folks went of to different websites. The Brit’s Aussie’s and Germans went their own way as well, as did other groups.

Unfortunately although Lugnet is a shell of its’ former self, (Todd & Suz are no longer in charge) we still have the Train and Town folks, as well as the Canadians, Italians, Portuguese, and many others.

And there have been major reshuffling at TLG, with KKK stepping down. The new Chairman has recently announced huge downsizing in Enfield as well as Billund.

Things are not all that rosey as of late.

Gary Istok

I’m not so sure I’d be so pessimistic about the overall state of affairs for the AFOL community. Some pretty baddish stuff happened, and lots of stuff has changed, but the future holds lots of potential.

After putting in many years of service to the community, Todd and Suz have stepped down, and it seems to me the new management is patching up leaks and polishing things up. I was unable to post for quite a while for reasons which remain mysterious to me, but in the last month or so I discovered that this was no longer the case and I’ve been trying to make up for lost time.

So yes, Lugnet has lost many of its regular posters to various niche websites, but I get the impression there is more activity here these days than there may have been a year a go or so.

TLG are also shaking things up a lot, and inevitably the much needed reforms have left a lot of employees in a bad spot. On the bright side, the last few years have witnessed TLG’s increased interest in the AFOL community and they have demonstrated in a variety of ways that they welcome our input when it comes to product design and more. Whether as a result of this or not, it also seems to me that the new sets coming out recently have been a little better overall. The Creator sets keep getting better every year, the current SW sets are some of the best ever, and even fallen angel that is the Castle theme is a smidgen better now than it was 2 years ago.

So to quote old Bobby D., the times, they are a-changin’, but I envision the next couple of years for TLG as ones with great potential, rather than dominated by cross-the-board juniorization and shades of bley. Shiri and anyone else who might want to return to the hobby could find worse times than 2006 to get back into the way of the brick.

:)

Magnus

PS Xposted to .general (I think this is the right newsgroup)