 General / 51306
Re: Lego Factory sets released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:
One question, tho - does anyone have any idea how this might affect Bricklink
sellers?  If I can create my own custom model and have Lego send me the parts,
that makes me less likely to look for those parts on Bricklink.

Of course, Lego might charge more for the parts than they sell for on Bricklink!

John-

TLC makes 1000s of elements in 100+ (hopefully to be cut in half) colors. That's
a lot of theoretical permutations. In any one year, they hardly manufacture a
few percent of the possibilities. If they don't make it, we can't buy it (and so
far, we can only "bulk" buy a few percent of the parts they make in one year,
i.e., we can buy a few percent of a few percent).

So, as long as ABS doesn't spontaneously disintegrate, there will be a plenty of
need for BrickLink to shuffle non-current parts around the community. And for
current parts, the BL sellers breaking down huge numbers of new sets at close
outprices will always be cheaper than buying from TLC. I see no real impact at
all, except for the onesy, twosy buyer of new parts, which makes no real impact
anyway.

-Ted