 General / 51063
Subject:
My FotD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:40:30 GMT

On the way to work yesterday morning I spotted this item plainly visible atop someone’s open garbage can along the road. I didn’t have time to grab it just then, but it was still there when I was on my way home, so I stopped and saved it from its fate. Nearby was a similar (though yellow) case from the Fisher-Price brand Construx, which I also snagged.

Bad news--they weren’t all that full, and the bits that were there told of the riches that weren’t included.

Good news--they weren’t empty, either, and free is free. As I hoped, the Construx case also contained LEGO bricks.

The single best find, IMO, was this piece in not-terrible condition, though the paint is slightly chipped. I didn’t see any other Classic Space elements to prove exactly which set this came from, but I’m still glad to have it. Other nice bits included a small handful of trans-white 2x4 bricks and two pairs of this window in white and black, respectively. These windows in these colors are new to my collection (though hardly “new,” I know).

Also included where a half dozen minifigs, among them a headless firefighter and a few of these.

I can’t tell how old the whole stash might be. The case itself is from 1985, but there’s also a canopy extender with the Res-Q ensignia whose age I can’t determine. Any suggestions as to its source?

Most of the stuff is in generally good condition, though a bit dusty, with only a few broken pieces. I spotted a number of Tyco elements, too, which also date from about 1985.

Granted, this isn’t an amazing find, but it marks the first time I’ve ever found more than a few LEGO pieces in someone else’s discard pile.

Dave!

Re: My FotD
   On the way to work yesterday morning I spotted this item plainly visible atop someone’s open garbage can along the road.

I can’t tell how old the whole stash might be. The case itself is from 1985, but there’s also a canopy extender with the Res-Q ensignia whose age I can’t determine. Any suggestions as to its source?

It could be this piece from

    6445 Emergency Evac
97 elements, 1 figure, US$8, 1998
LEGO > SYSTEM > Town > RES-Q

All in all nice going Dave! Can’t beat the price :D

Maggie C.

Re: My FotD
In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   On the way to work yesterday morning I spotted this item plainly visible atop someone’s open garbage can along the road.

I can’t tell how old the whole stash might be. The case itself is from 1985, but there’s also a canopy extender with the Res-Q ensignia whose age I can’t determine. Any suggestions as to its source?

It could be this piece from

    6445 Emergency Evac
97 elements, 1 figure, US$8, 1998
LEGO > SYSTEM > Town > RES-Q

I’ll bet that’s it, because I also got that trans-dk-blue windscreen and a pair of those wheels. Thanks for the pointer!

   All in all nice going Dave! Can’t beat the price :D

I noticed today that their trash hasn’t yet been picked up. I wonder if I would be imposing to sift through their refuse on their driveway for other LEGO goodies. I’m sure that they’d love it.

Dave!

Re: My FotD