 General / 50914
  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) It's a new acronym that's being tossed around to replace 'AFOL'-- ALE = "Adult Lego Enthusiast" (...) I don't think disk space is really the issue so much as bandwidth. IIRC he filled up 2 T1's easily, which ain't cheap. People use BrickShelf (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I'm not sure what a Bionicle avatar is, but I do agree that bandwidth is likely the major expense. (...) Right. And, while I'm not disparaging Kevin's efforts -- Brickshelf has been a valuable service to the community for years -- its (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Outside linking to images could be something to cut out. (...) What about a free will funds drive like Peeron did? That seemed to work out for them. Is it feasible? (...) This would definitely drop the BandWidth cost. Most internet providers (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Brickshelf is already set up to accept monetary contributions. Details here: (URL) may donate with Paypal or mailed payment. Kevin even gives contributors some perks: 1) No adverts are shown to any veiwers of your folders ever. No adverts are (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) That's assuming that money is the problem. I'm not convinced of that, and Kevin certainly hasn't said so. In fact, he's said very little of anything at all, except that he may stop accepting uploads at some point. Of course I am only guessing, (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Umm, excuse me? To quote from here: (URL) to the loss of our major sponsor,..." Exactly what English definition of sponsor are you using? Clark PS As for 'interest', the galleries are still online, the approvals of member's pictures are still (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Let's fill in the rest, shall we? "Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no longer available at Brickshelf.com." That says absolutely nothing about the (IMHO) more important issue of user pictures on (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) He has: (2 URLs) I don’t think fundrasing drives are a viable long-term option (we need somewhat reliable monthly cashflow), we certainly will not turn away impromptu sponsors!" Clark (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Both of those are passive requests. In the same vein, I'm always interested in getting free money, but that isn't the same like saying 'I'm broke and need to get some cash. I'm going to sell my Collection to make money.' I think what Joe is (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)