 General / 50851
Re: When did the "fingernail groove" appear?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 19:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Maggie Cambron wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
Hey all,

After another major re-sort of my collection, I decided to separate all the
1x2 grille tiles without the fingernail groove out of my big bag of the
grooved kind since it's kinda hard to tell 'em apart while digging.  I was
surprised to find that I had quite a few of the non-fingernail groove type
in colors that I would not have expected (most especially green).  Green was
a pretty scarce color outside of baseplates and trees for quite awhile so I
got to thinkin' that some of these pieces must be pretty old.  But just how
old are they?

When I came across some sets that had never been "cross-contaminated" by other
sets I went ahead and took some notes.  You can add them to the rest of the
observations you get:

http://news.lugnet.com/inv/?n=143

IIRC it seemed that in 1991 they had introduced the grooved tiles but in some
cases were still using their stock of non-grooved ones.  Which might place the
change sometime around then.

Maggie C.

"Cross Contamination" continued as late as 1997.  I have some copies of 5561 Big
Foot 4x4 that had non-grooved grilles as well as at least one Divers set, which
I think is the Diving Expedition Explorer.  I vaguely remember seeing it in
another one, though; perhaps Shark Cage Cove.

Jeff