 General / 50845
Re: When did the "fingernail groove" appear?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 02:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:
Paging Mr. Istok!  :-D

Dave S.

Hi Dave, looks like others beat me to the punch....

But speaking of grooves, Lego tiles, which first came into production in late
1965, came without grooves in the tile parts packs #510 (1965), and #471
(1966-68).

Trying to date a specific time when something started or ended is very tricky
with Lego.  I have seen this time and time again.  I have a MIB 1974 #266
Child's Bedroom set (one of the large head people sets of the 1970's).  That set
has about 84 tiles in it.  The colors are white, black, gray and red.  All the
1x2 and 2x2 tiles have a groove (regardless of which color).  All the 1x1 tiles
have no grooves.  So one cannot really say when production of the grooveless
tiles ceased, as long as they were in stock, they were used up.

I find this to be the case with a lot of Lego parts....

Cellulose Acetate ended production in Europe in 1963, except for the 2x8 rail
ties that were produced with the first train sets in April 1966.  Those sets had
ABS parts, but CA ties.  And in the USA you could still find CA parts in yellow
as late as 1970.

Waffle Bottom plates production ended in 1962 in continental Europe, and 1972 in
the USA.  Circle bottom plates first were produced in Europe in 1962, and in
1962 in the USA.  So what ended up happening was from 1962-72 most USA Samsonite
sets had a mixture of waffle/circle bottom plates.

USA Samsonite Lego sets of the 1960's.... if the word "LEGO" isn't on the
bricks/parts in more than 2 different fonts on the Lego bricks and parts, then I
would be suspicious as to whether the set had original parts.

Sometimes it wasn't a matter of just using up the existing old style parts (or
plastic), but the matter of not wasting an old style mold that had seen little
use (and wear).

I call this the "Lego Churn".

Gary Istok

Oh, I forgot to mention.... as an example of old part continuing to show up in
new sets... the old gray, old dark gray and old brown will be showing up in
various sets for years to come, as we are already starting to see.  As long as
there is inventory, or plastic in those colors, TLG will NOT discard them, but
use them up.  It has been that way since the very first Lego bricks (1949).

Gary Istok