 General / 47991
Re: 2x4 Brick model?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 03:04:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Darrell Urbien wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have instructions for an enlarged 2x4 brick made of lego? I'd really
like one about a foot long, but I guess I'd take any size.

Since a 2x4 is about 1.25 inches long I guess you'd be looking at a scale of
about 1:9.6.  So it would probably be just as easy to build it to 9 times
original size, or 10 times.

I have built a few 'jumbo' bricks like this and they are fairly easy to do.  You
just need to look at the piece you are recreating and start multiplying it's
dimensions by whatever size you want to scale it up to.

For inspiration, you might try some of these links:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=30770 (Sean Kenney's work, which
inspired me to build some of these type of bricks - includes a pic of a 2x4)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=24615 (some interesting 10X
models)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=65125 (my instructions for a 10X
1x1 Technic brick)

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/main.cfm?cat=51&review=837&revOn=true
(a headlight brick, also at 10X)

Oh, and it would really help if you had a parts list too.. That way I could just
purchase exactly what I needed. :)

I found that in the case of the standard bricks, you just use whatever you have.
The majority of the ones I built were comprised of mostly 2xX bricks as they
more or less simulate the thickness of a brick wall at 10 times scale.

I'd like to use this model to demonstrate some 3D ideas for my class, so the
bigger it is, the better (within reason). I tried a search but.. ever search
LUGNET for "Brick" or "2x4"?

Take a look at Sean's work (link above) for some other interesting parts that
can be built this way.  I also did a 2x3 33 degree slope using.... you guessed
it, 33 degree slopes (and 2xX bricks).  It turned out well and looked like it's
tiny version.  These bricks are so much fun to hold and build with... you feel
like your hands have shrunk.  :)

You can see my slope in this picture, along with the other jumbos I made last
fall:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/jumbos.jpg

If I can't find anything I'll probably make it out of a cardboard box or
foamcore,

Don't give in to the dark side!  They can be made from LEGO!  ;)

but it'd be much more fun if it was made of ABS. If someone's already
worked this out it would save me a lot of time. Was there ever a kit for a model
like this made by LEGO?

Not that I'm aware of, but then.... I've been wrong before!

Best regards,
Allan B.