 General / 47407
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 21:09:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:

snip out humorous sarcasm list

Sorry Jake but I have to point out that all of the items listed above
are/have been only available to those who are able to use S@H or have a
Lego brand name store close to them ie; NOT the majority of shoppers.

Certainly, minus as Jason says, the times when they do come to retail.

Unfortunately, the stores Jason mentions (Target and TRU) do not have branches
here in New Zealand, and apart from 2 Pirate ships re-issued several years ago,
I have seen nothing else in the shops here.

For those of us that do not (or can't, for whatever reason) shop from S@H
and who do not have a Lego brand shop in their country, those items might
as well be on the moon.

Sure, but saying they don't exist, and saying they exist in a channel you
don't feel like using is much different.

True, but I was also generalising to a certain extent, many, if not most, casual
shoppers do not know about S@H, and there are still many shoppers who do not
like or trust, shopping via the internet, and we definitely do NOT have a Lego
brand shop in this country (and with the size of the country, somehow I don't
think we will be getting one).

From the impulse/casual buyer's viewpoint, Lego has done none of those
things, nothing special/extra has been provided for those buyers at all.

Well, besides the entire What Will You Make? line....

I agree about that line, . . . but you missed it out of your list ;-)

More importantly, the comment I responded to had eveything to do with AFOLs.
The comment was that TLC hasn't listened to AFOLs or paid attention to
their needs. My comment was meant to show that we have, in fact, listened to
the AFOLs, and listened in a big way.

True, but I was attempting to point out that there are also others out here who
have not really benefited from that listening.

Personally, I think Lego is missing a rather significant part of the market
here, I realise some (most/all?) of these items have been created as
"exclusives" for S@H, but if that exclusivity were for, say the first year,
and then the models etc were supplied to normal retail outlets, either as
generally available items, or perhaps listed in the catalogs as "special
items that you can ask your retailer to order for you" then I believe Lego
would not be dissapointed with the sales figures.

Well, we can't force anything at all on retailers. It's up to them to decide,
ultimately, what they accept and what they don't. When retailers have been
interested in the exclusives, we've worked out deals to get them to them. (As
mentioned by Jason's examples)

That works well, IF the retailers know about the exclusives etc. I have spoken
to some of the local retailers, and they did not even know about S@H and the
exclusives, maybe our local Lego reps need to brush up on their sales skills .

I'm not saying that some of these exclusives wouldn't do well in retail, but
I'm also not convinced that it's an absolute no-brainer, slam-dunk.

I didn't say it was a guaranteed no-brainer, but considering Lego has been
losing money, surely even moderate sales are better than no sales ?

For the last 2 years during the christmas period, I have noticed in one of my
local retailers, several pallets of Megablock Dragon sets, these have
consistently sold very well, I have also seen shoppers looking (in vain) for
comparable Lego castle/fantasy models. A missed opportunity ? After all, the
Black Falcon Fortress, Blacksmith's Shop and Guarded Inn were still being made
at that time, just not available for casual shoppers.

So, I guess this is a plea for Lego to consider those of us who, like I
said, can't or won't use S@H and don't have a Lego brand shop nearby.

I'm actually more interested to know why you won't use S@H.

For me personally, not so much won't use S@H, at the moment can't use S@H (My
credit card can't handle it) also, even though Lego managed to change the
original post and packing to an option for a cheaper post and packing, that is
still money I would far rather be paying to Lego for more bricks than paying to
UPS.

Sorry for rambling on like this Jake, but maybe every bit of information you can
get will help.

Thanks - Ken