 General / 47323
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 12:42:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Bailey wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
snip
< Begin Humorous Sarcasm >

Well, besides the
- MOT sets
- Santa Fe sets
- Metroliner
- Club Car
- Guarded Inn
- Black Falcon's Fortress
- USS Constellation
- Countless other various Legends sets
- Legends voting
- Blacksmith Shop MOC
- Santa Fe Cars MOC
- Current Bulk Program
- PaB
- Imperial Star Destoyer
- Rebel Blockade Runner
- UCS Snowspeeder
- Wright Flyer
- Sopwith Camel
- Red Baron
- Shell sets
- Seasonal sets (turkey, pumpkin, US flag, Christmas ornaments, etc.)
- Statue of Liberty
- Minifig Sculpture
- Darth Maul bust
- Special purchasing deals
- LEGO Mosaic
- Last shot of Cypress trees
- ...and whatever else I have up my sleeve

Other than that, you're right, we don't list much! :)

< /End Humorous Sarcasm >

Sorry Jake but I have to point out that all of the items listed above are/have
been only available to those who are able to use S@H or have a Lego brand name
store close to them ie; NOT the majority of shoppers.

Certainly, minus as Jason says, the times when they do come to retail.

For those of us that do not (or can't, for whatever reason) shop from S@H and
who do not have a Lego brand shop in their country, those items might as well be
on the moon.

Sure, but saying they don't exist, and saying they exist in a channel you don't
feel like using is much different.

From the impulse/casual buyer's viewpoint, Lego has done none of those things,
nothing special/extra has been provided for those buyers at all.

Well, besides the entire What Will You Make? line....

More importantly, the comment I responded to had eveything to do with AFOLs. The
comment was that TLC hasn't listened to AFOLs or paid attention to their needs.
My comment was meant to show that we have, in fact, listened to the AFOLs, and
listened in a big way.

Personally, I think Lego is missing a rather significant part of the market
here, I realise some (most/all?) of these items have been created as
"exclusives" for S@H, but if that exclusivity were for, say the first year, and
then the models etc were supplied to normal retail outlets, either as generally
available items, or perhaps listed in the catalogs as "special items that you
can ask your retailer to order for you" then I believe Lego would not be
dissapointed with the sales figures.

Well, we can't force anything at all on retailers. It's up to them to decide,
ultimately, what they accept and what they don't. When retailers have been
interested in the exclusives, we've worked out deals to get them to them. (As
mentioned by Jason's examples)

I'm not saying that some of these exclusives wouldn't do well in retail, but I'm
also not convinced that it's an absolute no-brainer, slam-dunk.

So, I guess this is a plea for Lego to consider those of us who, like I said,
can't or won't use S@H and don't have a Lego brand shop nearby.

I'm actually more interested to know why you won't use S@H.

Jake

---