 General / 47176
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 16:35:17 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message news:Hx91Ap.Cx9@lugnet.com...
(snip)

This is a fairly radical opinion, I guess, but I'm not convinced that the • 9V
track is one of the "key" pieces to keep in production in old dark grey. I • know
it's different but frankly, this is an area where reality DOES vary. • Railroads
replace ties all the time, and ties weather at different rates, even • concrete
ones.

Hmm, if we're going to do anything with the track, how about brown? New
brown would be fine. Black would work also.

Of course more and more track these days is being laid on concrete ties,
even in the US.

Personally, I think the detail parts are as important, or more important, • than
the bulk bricks... although bulk bricks matter too!

My problem with the whole bit is that you need a wide selection of parts.
What I would actually most like to see is parts in the old colors that were
not released. I haven't decided yet to buy any of the brick packs (which
means they'll probably sell out before I decide to - oh well, I probably
have enough grey brick to last me for a while).

I'm not sure where my buying is going to go in the future. I expect to be
buying a lot less, but that's as much because my collection has reached a
size that it's hard to deal with. The color changes will probably mean that
some future projects will die still born because they either depend on old
parts that will never be available in the new colors (for example, old style
hinges), or require a diversity of parts that won't exist in the new colors
for several years, or require a quantity of brick that makes it impossible
to do with the new colors with my current budget, and requires more of some
part than I currently have in the old colors. Some of the projects may be
doable by buying off BrickLink, but the prices of old color parts are going
to start to skyrocket.

So mostly I've been staying quiet on the color change because honestly, all
I can do is grumble. The only thing I can promise that would make me happy
is to revert to the old colors, but that's not going to happen. So I spend
my energy thinking about other stuff.

Actually, to be honest, right now I'm more bugged by the flesh tone minifigs
than the other color changes. I do tend to buy one of each new set in the
themes I'm interested in, but I see myself buying far fewer of the Harry
Potter and Spiderman sets than I would have in the past. I know I'm never
going to have the diversity of minifig heads in flesh tones that I will have
in yellow, so I just can't imagine using the "Caucasian" heads (the brown
ones I at least feel like I can use even though they will mean a dramatic
minority). What's even more bothersome is that some torsos have flesh tone
printing, which means they will look funny if I swap out the hands and head
for yellow.

On the bright side, minifigs is where I least mind the new colors, though
the "metallic" greys do look a little funny for tweed suits and feathers and
such...

Sigh.

Frank