 General / 45082
Re: Cleaning old Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:09:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Has anybody tried to bleach yellowed parts?

Bleach is great for dirt, but yellowing of ABS is caused by a chemical breakdown
of the plastic molecules, not surface dirt.  ABS is not UV-stable, and natural
ABS (which has a milky beige color) will turn brown and brittle/powdery over
time.  Some coloring agents will lend a touch of UV-stability to the ABS (black
ABS, which is colored with carbon, is 100% UV-stable), but white doesn't appear
to be one of them.  The only way to clean the yellow color off is to scrape away
the surface until you get back down to white plastic, and that's not advisable
if you care about the condition of your bricks.

Now, I know cigarette smoke will cause ABS to yellow, but I don't have any
experience with that.  It's possible that you can bleach smoke-yellowing out,
but I'd suggest trying it out on one small brick that you don't particularly
value before subjecting large portions of your collection to the process.