 General / 45063
  Cleaning old Lego

Hi all, Just requesting a bit of advice from you Lego experts. What the best way to clean old Lego? I have some vintage Lego that is quite grubby from years of play and wish to restore it as best I can. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

(...) I am using a mesh bag that I purchased at Linens 'n' Things, a store similar to Bed, Bath, & Beyond. The ~$5 bag is designed for washing lingerie, and it has pictures of pink undergarments as decoration. The nice thing about this bag is that (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

(...) I do it as Dan suggested. (in previous mail) But, to add something to your question: Has anybody tried to bleach yellowed parts? (20 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

(...) Bleach is great for dirt, but yellowing of ABS is caused by a chemical breakdown of the plastic molecules, not surface dirt. ABS is not UV-stable, and natural ABS (which has a milky beige color) will turn brown and brittle/powdery over time. (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

"Geoff Snell" <geoff_snell@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Hrzrq1.o82@lugnet.com... (...) quite (...) In addition to other suggestions, I use Dawn liquid detergent and a toothbrush for tough spots. Rosemary (20 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

(...) Lego has produced different shades of white and I always wondered if they were experimenting with additives. Some of the white bricks are just milkier, less brilliant, out of the box. One commercial product which absorbs UV (mainly for plastic (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

(...) It's entirely possible. I've noticed that there are two distinct versions of the old classic brown when produced in ABS (just the harder plastic used for 2x4 bricks, not the softer plastics), but they only really show up under blacklight. (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Cleaning old Lego

I've got an old electric toothbrush which is great for dusting and cleaning (as long as the dirt isnt to heavy - or sticky) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.general)