 General / 44293
Re: Yellow blues...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   A new basic color seems to have been hit by the “color shift syndrom”: yellow.

When I opened my brand new 8455 Backhoe Loader, I noticed that some parts (‘Wheel RC Race Buggy’ and ‘Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Bent’) had a slightly darker, and more orange hue.

Here is an unretouched scan of some parts from this set:

I am not that finicky about colors (I am more interested by mechanisms... and I might even prefer the new yellow), but I think that different hues in the same box is a quality problem!

Philo

www.philohome.com

A number of years back (4 maybe), I was sorting some basic bricks from 3033 tubs and I noticed the different subtle shades of yellow. Certain bricks seemed to be more primary yellow (whatever that is) and some seemed to be slightly more red. The difference is ever so subtle and was not noticible unless you had a large pile of only yellow bricks. These parts were (in theory) produced at about the same time. I have always attributed it to dye-lot variations from whomever LEGO gets the ABS pellets from.

Its also worth mentioning that LEGO now gets delivery of ABS pellets in large tanker trucks (I found this tidbit in a fact sheet PDF file from the LEGO website). I wonder how they make sure that every pellet of one color is cleaned out before loading (or unloading) a shipment of another color. What this might actually be is a few odd pellets of another color getting mixed in prior to the time the melting begins. Wild speculation on my part, but it would seem possible based on the huge quantities of bricks manufactured that every now and then a few might be off a bit.

Ray