 General / 44257

Subject:
Yellow blues...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:19:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

A new basic color seems to have been hit by the “color shift syndrom”: yellow.

When I opened my brand new 8455 Backhoe Loader, I noticed that some parts (‘Wheel RC Race Buggy’ and ‘Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Bent’) had a slightly darker, and more orange hue.

Here is an unretouched scan of some parts from this set:

I am not that finicky about colors (I am more interested by mechanisms... and I might even prefer the new yellow), but I think that different hues in the same box is a quality problem!

Philo

www.philohome.com

Re: Yellow blues...
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   A new basic color seems to have been hit by the “color shift syndrom”: yellow.

When I opened my brand new 8455 Backhoe Loader, I noticed that some parts (‘Wheel RC Race Buggy’ and ‘Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Bent’) had a slightly darker, and more orange hue.

Here is an unretouched scan of some parts from this set:

I am not that finicky about colors (I am more interested by mechanisms... and I might even prefer the new yellow), but I think that different hues in the same box is a quality problem!

Wow. Yellow? I will be interested whether this is just another dirty nozzle or consistent new hue.

Dirty nozzle means not pure yellow--my yellows are greenish, like they were made immediately after a blue run. Two bad shades came in the same sealed bag from a 1998 blue tub. Also, yellow is one color that suffers over time. My original Yellow Castle actually became more saturated.

Yellow...

Re: Yellow blues...
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:32:01 GMT

Wow. Yellow?  I will be interested whether this is just another dirty nozzle
or consistent new hue.

I don't think it is the case here, since two different kind of parts have
exactly the same hue. And with a dirty nozzle you usually don't get an
homogeneous color. Here parts have a very nice yellow color - but different from
other parts in the same bag.

Philo

Re: Yellow blues...
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:21:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
I don't think it is the case here, since two different kind of parts have
exactly the same hue. And with a dirty nozzle you usually don't get an
homogeneous color. Here parts have a very nice yellow color - but different from
other parts in the same bag.

OK. did you check the color against many older parts?

Re: Yellow blues...
OK. did you check the color against many older parts?
Yes, they matched the lighter, less red color of most parts in the box.

Philo

Re: Yellow blues...
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:25:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   A new basic color seems to have been hit by the “color shift syndrom”: yellow.

When I opened my brand new 8455 Backhoe Loader, I noticed that some parts (‘Wheel RC Race Buggy’ and ‘Technic Liftarm 1 x 7 Bent’) had a slightly darker, and more orange hue.

Here is an unretouched scan of some parts from this set:

I am not that finicky about colors (I am more interested by mechanisms... and I might even prefer the new yellow), but I think that different hues in the same box is a quality problem!

Philo

www.philohome.com

There have always been some variation in colors. I have seen several hues of standard red, yellow, blue and white in new sets.

Sofar it has meant nothing!

Martin

Re: Yellow blues...
There have always been some variation in colors. I have seen several hues of
standard red, yellow, blue and white in new sets.

I hope you're right... though here the difference is small, but quite
noticeable!

Philo

Re: Yellow blues...
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:25:31 GMT

Try putting the pneumatic airtank next to another blue brick and see what
happens :)

Did not someone report that the hubs in that set appeared to be made out of some
other plastic then ABS?

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe