 General / 40915
Re: I couldn't sleep so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:37:04 GMT

Hi,

I rarely follow lugnet discussions as I am busy with other things/hobbies,
such as nursing my three children back to health this weekend.  However, the
continued stream of messages on this thread did finally cause me to look at
one of the images (a hand around or under the shuttle) and to scan one or
two of the messages.

I have been religious all my life and raised a Christian.  I have been
following the Lord in the Eastern Orthodox Church for six years now.  One
thing stressed in the prayers of the Church is the mercy of God, that we can
_never_ escape his presence, and that He is "the Lover of Mankind," as our
prayers so often put it.  Although we certainly expect God to square
everything with justice as the final curtain drops on this age, we as
mortal, finite humans cannot ascribe actions as varied as the Trade Towers
to the Columbia to anything like God's retribution.  True, God's
"retribution" is active on earth as men and women stumble along in the
consequences their own sins (misdeeds) have caused them, and also just the
ramifications of the choices they (we) have made.  Choices have
consequences.  It is because we live in an imperfect, corrupt world that
Jesus "for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven."  But there
cannot be a one on one correlation between God's retribution and seeming
tragedies (i.e., good people contract and die of cancer, innocent children
die in car wrecks).  I said seeming tragedies not to diminish the fact that
such events as what happened with the Columbia are not tragedies but to put
into perspective that despite such events the God of creation still is a God
of mercy and judges according to mercy.  "I desire mercy and not sacrifice."
"Have mercy on me, O God, according to the multitude of thy mercy" (Ps
51:1).  There is a faith system, shared by a billion people, which can also
recognize the hand of God in other faith systems, which captures the innate
response of all mankind to such events as Saturday's disaster: that such a
disaster is a tragedy of the greatest proportion, yet even so, and even in
it and through it, God is able to bring His mercy to bear.  God was indeed
with those who suffered and those who died, and He grieves as such
occurrences.  But He has not left us helpless: He has united all humankind
to Himself in the Incarnation.  And in the resurrection He has delivered all
from corruption and death.

Alan

Alan Carmack
Austin, Texas
Fr Alexander Men' Web Site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~amenpage
"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." --St Jerome
"To know Christ is to know Scripture." --John Henry Newman

..