 General / 40911
Re: I couldn't sleep so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:15:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anthony Sava writes:
I can understand where you might see something in the pictures that I did not
intend.  I was not trying to show some 'hand of fate' or a 'divine retribution'
upon the Space Shuttle.  Rather, I was trying to show a divine force cradling
the craft during flight.  It has always been comforting to me to think that my
God is with me where ever I go.

Thanks for providing a little about what the images mean to you.  It's a
different interpretation than the immediate one that came to my mind upon
seeing them.

In case anyone was wondering, my immediate reaction to the images was to
take them as suggesting simply "this was God's plan".  And if someone were
to honestly suggest that people disintegrating in the atmosphere was part of
God's plan for those people, I would find that both a highly distubing
insult to the people who died and extremely incosiderate to their surviving
loved ones.

The other possible and more confusing interpretation of
http://www.ozbricks.net/ikros/Shuttle/Catch.jpg is that God tried to catch
the space shuttle and bring it to safetly, but somehow it slipped past him.
I don't even want to try to figure out a theology that would support that
interpretation.

Now before anyone trys to start a theological debate, I just want to end it
before it starts.  I believe the hand of God was with the seven this weekend, I
do not believe God caused the shuttle to disintigrate, but I believe his hand
was there to catch them as they fell, taking them up to be with him.  I don't
want anyone dragging this into some debate on God and bad things happening (I'm
not saying I know any particular person would, I just don't want that debate
started).  I personally don't believe God makes bad things happen, but that
they just happen, and God is with us to catch us when we fall, and to comfort
us when we are down.

I don't want to enter into debate either.  While obviously I don't take any
comfort in this sort of thinking, I very much appreciate you taking the time
to explain your beliefs, and am honestly glad that they bring you and others
comfort.

Sorry to have misinterpreted the sentiment behind the images, and I'm glad I
didn't jump to immediate conclusions about them.

-Rev. Smith