 General / 39671
39670  |  39672
Subject:
On building buildings (WAS: Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:28:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

which shows two buildings that are using plates to simulate masonry. Note
that both of these are Chris Leach's and are one plate/two brick spaced but
I know I have seen other clubs that do one/one

Amazing. I also saw another wide shot of the fire house.  I feel as though I
have no bricks at all.  I am completely humbled.

Don't be.  We put our pants on one leg at a time like everyone else. Members
do encourage each other to do better work, however, which is one of the
great things about the whole club experience

Indeed.  And I think it was the cohesive look of your group's work that
struck me.  It looks as though it could have all been done by one person.
Of course, that would be a person with a *really* large collection I suppose.

As well, I have seen other buildings like these, but perhaps not in a
well-crafted diorama style like that.  A nice building standing alone
against a plain background probably isn't as striking as one that's nicely
woven into a scene like those you posted.  See, if you'd just mentioned
there were buildings in your train pics I would have looked at them long
ago.  ;)

Wow... what great work.

Thanks. We are merely one of many clubs though.  And of course there is a
friendly rivalry among clubs to see who can do the most spectacular shows...
we like to think we're now in the first rank, even when we do smaller shows,
but PNLTC, SCTLC, GMLTC, NELUG, rtlToronto and a host of others do awesome
work as well. Browse around some of the club sites (this map, though out of
date, will help you find some club websites... start here:
http://www.lugnet.com/map/ then drill in through NA, US and trains to here:
http://www.lugnet.com/map/na/usa/ltc/ )

I'll take a look.  So many pics.... so little bandwidth at home.  :(

Get involved with your local club, and your dreams will come true... I
promise.

Well, I've given it some thought from time to time.  I'm just worried that
my anti-social tendencies might scare others away.  ;)

In all seriousness, I've never been much for clubs or groups even when I
enjoy whatever it is they're meeting about.  Not sure why this is, just been
that way all my life.  But who knows.... maybe someday.

If there isn't a club in your area, start one. While clubs are not
for everyone, they are loads and loads of fun. You are not alone.

Actually, I've wondered about that.  Not about being alone, but about a club
or at least even other LEGO fans in this area.  I know of the Toronto guys,
of course, but in all my time on LUGNET have never heard anyone else refer
to Stratford or the surrounding area.  I don't even think I've heard of a
person from London which has a population of over 300,000.  Surely there's
someone else west of the Kitchener region besides me?  I'll have to post
something to the Ontario local group.

Thanks for all the info Larry!
Allan B.