 General / 39651
Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:23:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

<snip neat idea>

On a truly large scale building, could you use 1 x X light grey plates
between each layer?

Larry, are there pictures of this technique that you can point us to?  I'm
curious to see how it looks on a finished building or structures.

I've seen lots. Assidious digging will surface more examples but here is one
from our show of last July:

start at our site

http://www.michlug.org/

go through past events to the show report in question

http://www.michlug.org/pastevents/shows/2002-07-13.html

and follow the links to Scott Sanburn's gallery:

to get to this image:

which shows two buildings that are using plates to simulate masonry. Note
that both of these are Chris Leach's and are one plate/two brick spaced but
I know I have seen other clubs that do one/one

While you are browsing, check out some of the other galleries as well,
including Spencer's great sepia of "Woodward Ave."

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=21623 and then
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=210087 for the specific pic

and Stefan's pic of many of us, (being intense :-) ) behind Spencer's
skyscrapers: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=213580

To your point that LEGO hasn't been able to compete with what we adults can
do, you are absolutely right, and after you look through the few links I
just gave you will be more convinced of that than ever. And we're just one
club of many that are cranking out impressive displays.

Whether LEGO SHOULD aspire to compete with us is a different question. These
monster buildings are not necessarily as interesting to kids as they are to
us... but LEGO certainly has the internal talent to design TOWN stuff than
is more desirable to adults (but still attracts kids somewhat) if it wanted to.

It may be that all we can hope for is that LD continues to make "bulk" packs
available to us. (I put bulk in quotes of course because if you have to buy
50 of the same pack to get what you need (Griswold, the building with the
twin towers on the back wall, done by Chris Leach, took hundreds of various
bulk packs and who knows how many Yodas) it's not quite "bulk" is it?)

I sort of like the underlying idea of textured bricks but am concerned about
SKUs of course... we have a limited selection as it is. Maybe sandpaper is
the way to go?