 General / 2940
Re: This is Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:29:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Linc Smith wrote:
Thank you Lugnet!!! For the organization and civility.  With the switch from
a single large newsgroup, we (AFOL) have been advanced light years in what
can be accomplished.

Good!  Now someone can tell me what AFOL means.  :-,

All Full Of Legos?
Anonymous Fulcrum Obligatory Lampshade?
A Fancy Old Lute?
Aardvark Finch Oriole Lark?

It's an abbreviation for:

   Adult Fan of LEGO

It was coined by Matthew Verdier on June 14, 1995 in a post to RTL.

I use it from time to time because it's shorter than writing "Adult LEGO
Maniac" or "adult," but it kind of gives me the creeps too because it looks
so much like AOL (not that there's anything wrong with AOL).

Matthew also noted when he first wrote it that it sounds like "A FOOL."

Technically, since "of" is never capitalized in English titles, it should
probably actually be AFoL, but people tend to write AFOL since that's easier
to type.  It was added to Derek Schin's guide to commonly used RTL acronyms on
August 12, 1995.

--Todd