 CAD / 1048

Subject:
My proposal for new element orientation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:22:23 GMT

My proposal for the standard orientation of all new elements being added to the
parts catalog.

LEdit/LDraw have a "standard" or "default" view that looks upon models/elements
from the upper front left. This is known as the 3D view (Esc|V|T will get you
there in LEdit)

The LEdit/LDraw axes are as follows in the default view:

         Top    Rear
         (Y)  (Z)
          |   /
          |  /
          | /
          |/
Right-----------(X) Left
         /|
        / |
       /  |
      /   |
Front   Bottom

Currently many of our existing elements, or even new elements being created as
we speak, follow no guideline for a standard orientation in the LDraw world.

Many Lego elements have no discernable front, rear or side... after all, some
see a 4x2 brick's front as being the 2x end, others will see the front as the
4x length. The only thing we tend to inherently agree on is that studs are on
top.
But there are elements such as windscreens, nose pieces, etc. that do tend to
be seen in a generalized Front/Rear orientation.

Wheels and Tires are another grey area since some (like myself) want to orient
wheels/tires to be pointing in the direction they would roll, so the tread
would be facing "front"... while others will consider the "face" of the
wheel/tire (the side with numbers or axle holes) to be its front.

My proposal is for all newly-created elements which have a discernable
Front/Rear to be oriented with that "Front" pointing toward the user in the
default view, running along the Z axis. In other words, the "front" of a piece
is at the lower left corner of the screen
I propose that wheels and tires be oriented so that the "face" of the
wheel/tire be oriented to the LEdit/LDraw default view Front. This means that
axles would run perpendicular to this "face" along the Z axis.

Here's an example:

           Top     Rear
           (Y)    (Z)
            |     /
            |    /
            |   /
         /-----\\
        / 20x30 \\
       |   /-\   ||
Right--|   | |   ||--(X) Left
       |   \-/   ||
        \  Tire //
         \-----//
        /   |
       /    |
      /     |
Front   Bottom

I agree that all wheel/tire combos should be placed around the same point of
origin, but to extend that idea, I believe that ALL elements should be centered
at the world origin (0,0,0) unless some specific attribute of the element
reasons otherwise.

I agree that ALL orientation responsibilities should be placed in the hands of
the part authors. Terry does enough for us already. I think that improper
orientation of a part should preclude it from being added to the catalog during
the voting phase and corrections should be imposed on the author.

Re: My proposal for new element orientation
Many Lego elements have no discernable front, rear or side... after
all, some see a 4x2 brick's front as being the 2x end, others will see
the front as the 4x length.

There is the word "LEGO" on the studs... we could orient pieces so that
"LEGO" is right-side up when seen from the front 3/4 view.

The only thing we tend to inherently agree
on is that studs are on top.

Not if you've read Karim's blurb about how he builds :)
--Bram