 General / 15955
15954  |  15956
Subject:
Great posts( was Re: Apathy? (was: WAMALUG's GATS Layout was a huge success!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 07:16:10 GMT

I hate "me too" posts but what an excellent post.

If we ever get to excluding people who love the brick just because they
love it in a different way, we've failed. Just because castle isn't my
cup of tea doesn't mean I can't hurt my jaw in amazement by the
castlehead work of late (there's so MUCH to love I won't name names),
and just because I don't choose to do war models doesn't mean that I
can't be wowed by Carl G's Panzer and Joe's Corsair and LFB's capital
ships... and just because I don't paint my bricks doesn't mean I can't
be stunned by Craigo's work and just because I choose to use a 6 wide
form factor doesn't mean that I can't admire 8 wide models too. I part
ways with Todd here because I want to include those who like clones too.
I'll NEVER sell my Tente collection, although I don't see myself buying
any mega any time soon.

Mike's "I'm in a competition" post is spot on too. He's competing in a
good way. GMLTC may lose some superlatives like "biggest privately owned
layout" if Mike makes a bigger legomodular, but that's ALL that GMLTC
will lose, the layout isn't going to dry up and blow away.

This outcome of having regional clubs in different regions is GREAT for
GATS, it means that they can if they want to, have LEGO layouts at many
of their shows without having to pay for cross country travel by one
club.

And if we can somewhere, someday, build a superduper legomodular layout
ala the Ntrak gang, that would be awesome.

But clubs are, and should be, about more than trains.

WAMALUG is off to just an amazing start. I think it would be useful to
have some of the members comment on factors that they suspect may have
helped, as it's info that the rest of us want to have available to us as
well.

Richard Schamus wrote:

In lugnet.general, James J. Trobaugh writes:
Maybe I should have stated myself a little differently earlier. I do realize • that
seeing what others do pushes us all to strive to do better, and I believe • that's a
very healthy part of completion. I have no issue with that at all. I believe • that
is what has made people successful in all aspects of life. Those who • continually
work to do better, to push themselves, are the ones who made this world the • great
place it is today.

I think the thing I'm concerned about is that it becomes an unhealthy • atmosphere
were others are afraid to try and start clubs or share their own creations • for fear
that they will be shunned or outcast. I think that the LEGO train community • needs
to keep encouraging others to do their best and keep pushing harder. Much • like the
other model rail clubs do.
<snip a bunch of stuff, that you can just go back and look at yourself, and • save some disk space and bandwidth.>>
Mike

James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club
http://www.ngltc.org
I'd like to add a psuedo, "Me too," to your comments. Psuedo, because I agree
with all that you say but with the amplification on the fear of acceptence
portion. WAMALUG started as NOVALTC. I joined just as the organization changed
it's name, in it's comparative infancy. The org's name lends to the belief
that it's not just "LEGO TRAINHEADS" here, but we explore many building
designs and creations. And in fact it does, even if you elliminate my
influence. There's lot's of Castle folks in the group, who are also
space/tech/SW lovers. etc. Lot's of crossover. Though competition is good, you
don't have to have the greatest collection to do some great stuff. From my "to
be sorted" sorting bin came the "Alien Containment" (I didn't name it
anything, I just let peoples imaginations run,) train car in the closing hours
of our first train show, Greenberg. Simple, few parts, readily availible
parts. All for fun, just to add to the layout.

I guess my point is, that I'm glad that the org I belong to changed to a Lego
User's Group, because it puts the emphasis on the use and the fun of Lego in
general, and not on just what some think of classically as train-stuff.

At the rate that our membership is growing, we could be faced with a splinter
grouping, not for problems within the group, just from shear numbers if they
all show up for the next meeting. And there is no telling if any of us inside
WAMALUG haven't influenced a chance meeting of some other AFOL to join us in
the next 6 to 12 months. Right now, if everyone shows to the next meeting,
We'd have people from lower PA. to middle VA. showing up. That's a large
region. I'm certain of only one thing; this is still a young group, and the
numbers WILL grow.

The real competitor I have, is myself, (do I use a nonstandard brick for color
enhancement, or not. Do I modify that Lego piece so that it does what I want
it to do, or not. Do I paint it or not). I've been in competitions, and I've
had some small recognition. But that's not the end all and be all of my
philosophy. Does it look good to me is the question I ask myself. The answer
is yes if the creation sticks around more than a couple of weeks. I've got
some stuff hanging out here in my Lego room for more than a year now. That's a
long time for me. Those pieces are technically not part of my collection
because they are not available for re-use in something new.

So, for those of you in the Washington D.C. metro area, who read this, and you
are just not sure if you are a train head, you don't have to be. If you think
that your stuff isn't good enough, just look a Chris Tracy's Paradisa train
crossing. If you don't think you have enough pieces to "compete" with us, it's
not about the piece count. And finally, if you are indescriminate about your
brick choice, well, I can't help you there. But there is hope, they let me
come over to play, but only because "most" of my creations are "pure" Lego.
It's more about the exchange of ideas, and fellowship than anything else,
well, at least it is for me. (WOW, some place where I'm considered normal!
Well, almost normal, since I own, errr.. other bricks. What a great concept!)

One last thing. GATS was a great success, not because we compete or we're
professional builders or anything like that. It's because we love to build
with Lego. That's the only qualifier. It doesn't matter if your thing is
buildings, (not one of my buildings on the actual layout,) trains, (I had a
couple running around there, but by no means was I in the majority,) vehicles,
resque equipment/vehicles, high tech aerospace, space ships, Star Wars,
Technic, etc. there is a place for everything, and you're bound to get to show
off some of your stuff at one of these types of events.

Rich
--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!