 Gaming / 1965
Re: space battle tactical game?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 00:07:07 GMT

Hi Joe!

In lugnet.gaming, Joe Strout wrote:
   Full Thrust’s solution, of having a 12-point (clock) heading plus a current speed, with rules about how fast you can change your heading or speed, seems like a very good compromise between reality and playability. I’m a little concerned that ships will quickly go flying right off the table, but I’m sure there are ways to deal with that.

This sounds similar to Evil Stevie’s Pirate Game (ESPG) which uses an 8-point compass plus rules about speed, turning, etc. based on ship size. While that is Age of Sail ships, I have thought of adapting it to a Space setting. (Well, mostly because I have a friend with a spiral galaxy drawn on his basement floor, which doesn’t fit well with the Pirate theme.) I will have to check out this Full Thrust. ...Oh, and that is one way to avoid the table issue - if you have a large floor space, you could use that instead.

   I can already see ways I will want to simplify and LEGOfy these rules a bit, though. For example, I’m going to steal an idea from Mechaton and have interchangeable weapons and shield generators that you can scavange from wrecked ships. (Hmm, should wreckage continue at the same speed and heading as the doomed ship? Mr. Newton certainly says so, but I think that might make too much busywork, and prevent the fun of scavanging.)

Assuming your son is still somewhat young, you might not want to use Newton’s laws too much here. As I see it, there are games that have more realism, and games that have less realism. But those with more realism generally have more rules to control or describe it. More rules is not only more work for you to setup and test, but it is also more for your son to learn and deal with during gameplay. Some players love the detail and having more rules. (Only you know if your son might.) But if you want a game the two of you can just jump into, then less realism becomes more attractive. Something to consider.

Anyhow, now matter how you decide to tackle this, might I suggest that you include your son in the entire process - not just the Lego building, but the thinking of and testing of rules. I imagine it would be a fun and educational experience.

And I hope to see the results of your efforts here too! :)

-Hendo