 Gaming / 1964
Re: space battle tactical game?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 03:15:40 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Joe Strout wrote:
Full Thrust's solution, of having a 12-point (clock) heading plus a current
speed, with rules about how fast you can change your heading or speed, seems
like a very good compromise between reality and playability.  I'm a little
concerned that ships will quickly go flying right off the table, but I'm sure
there are ways to deal with that.

One Lego-specific thing I tried years ago when playing with the idea of
microscale space combat, was to use one-stud-width plates to mark off the speed
and direction of all the objects on the field.  Plant one end of the plate on
the object, point the other end in the direction the object is going, and put a
1x1 round plate on top, however many studs out were equal to the object's
velocity.

The nice thing was that it made adding thrust vectors pretty easy; you just tack
the new vector plate onto the end of the old one, and the endpoint of the
combined vectors shows the new direction and speed of movement.  Very quick,
very Lego.  I ended up getting bogged down later trying to decide the best
method for handling rotational momentum, but otherwise it was kind of neat.

In regards to what dice system is best, you're going to have to get specific
about the feel of game you're going for - whether you want ships with reliable
and well-established capabilities for solid strategic play, for instance, or if
you want the surprises and wild swings of fate of fantasy space opera.  Lately
I'm a fan of just switching between different kinds of dice and avoiding the
math entirely, but I know that doesn't work for everybody.  What's the feeling
of play that you're hoping to design towards?