 Gaming / 1960
Re: space battle tactical game?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:32:55 GMT

Hi Wayne,

I've always wanted to try a Lego mircoship game. But my group is a little too
BrikWar oriented to break away (frankly, I love to try something like
Battlestations in Lego; where there's a miniature ship-to-ship combat part and
then a full-interior ship part).

That does sound like fun, though it'd be quite a lot of work to set up.  (Fun
work, of course, but still...)

For a strict ship-to-ship game, I suggest adapting the rules for Full Thrust.
The rules can be simplified--especially if you just use Cinematic Movement--and
are pretty much a d6 affair.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one before, and it does look good.  I've only taken a
quick perusal so far, but I like the movement system already.  I had been trying
to think of some way to capture the ships-in-space nature of the subject, so
that you couldn't just swap out your spaceships for mechs or well-armed minifigs
and have it still make sense.  In other words, I didn't want it to be just
another "move then shoot, or shoot then move" game.  But any way I had thought
to bring Newton's laws into it seemed way too complex.

Full Thrust's solution, of having a 12-point (clock) heading plus a current
speed, with rules about how fast you can change your heading or speed, seems
like a very good compromise between reality and playability.  I'm a little
concerned that ships will quickly go flying right off the table, but I'm sure
there are ways to deal with that.

Note that in the standard rule set, there's no mention I can find of Cinematic
Movement -- is this from one of the extensions?

I can already see ways I will want to simplify and LEGOfy these rules a bit,
though.  For example, I'm going to steal an idea from Mechaton and have
interchangeable weapons and shield generators that you can scavange from wrecked
ships.  (Hmm, should wreckage continue at the same speed and heading as the
doomed ship?  Mr. Newton certainly says so, but I think that might make too much
busywork, and prevent the fun of scavanging.)

If you do end up playing (using whatever rules) be sure to take pics and post
the details. I can't wait for my kid to be old enough.

Will do!

Thanks,
- Joe