 Gaming / 1966
Re: general gaming Q: multiple dice vs. die+bonuses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 00:49:26 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Joe Strout wrote:
   But these considerations are all pretty academic -- you guys are actually out
   there in the trenches; what’s your view?

Wow. I opened this thread expecting to defend the 1d6+A option, but Dave presents a convincing argument for the Ad6. Even with an opposing defense roll (with a defense value also 1-4), a ship with defense 1 would (with a 1-6 range) dodge once in a rare while.

Though I’m used to the d+bonus from other experience, I can see how the Ad6 plan could work. And if I read correctly you would not end up in the scary scenario of 9d6 or 90d6 because your stats are likely to be only 1-4...? The stat of the ship is how many you throw. You get to learn your addition from there (good for kids!).

If you did not have the opposing defense roll, I might feel differently, because one advantage of d+bonus is that it creates a creeping advantage on results charts. Also, (such as in d20 role playing games), the d+bonus allows a slow development of stats (such as character skills) over time. If your game needs a ship to slowly improve in small ways, again this option might be better. But you mention nothing like that, so I am swayed to side with Dave.

   Incidentally, the larger plan is for both attacker and defender to roll,
   using whichever scheme is chosen, and consider the attack to have succeeded if its roll is equal to or greater than the defense roll. In that case, the defender takes one point of damage. There are also “special damage” >and
“special failure” tables that are invoked when a successful attack rolled >a natural 6, or a failed attack rolled a natural 1; these are special effects
   like more damage, loss of an attachment, or changing a ship’s heading. Any feedback on this general scheme would also be also appreciated.

I’m a fan of critical hit and critical failure rolls and charts. I just find them fun. Keep in mind that with d6’s, you’d see a higher number of natural lows and highs though, so perhaps the result of a critical might be impressive, but not immediately deadly or game-altering.

Good to see you are continuing with this idea!

-Hendo