 Fun / Gaming / 82
81  |  83
Subject:
Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 23:53:45 GMT

  The Ohio BrikWars have commenced.  We met today for about 8 hours.
Loads of fun.  We had Drew Lawrence, Adrian Drake and Jeff Christner
fielding TL6 mechs, tanks and troopers against my TL3 keep.  Ken (I didn't
catch his last name) joined us as photographer.  Carolyn Cheney and
friends dropped in to observe.

  We decided to have all of the SpaceMen attack my keep.  I was playing
mostly Castle.  Backed up by 21 cannons.

  I fielded about 1900CP worth of Knights, Archers, Troopers, Scouts,
Cannons and a keep (based on the Royal Knights Castle baseplate).  The
combined space forces were 1900-2000CP.  3-4 Mechs, 2 tanks, 2 hover
craft, a bunch of troopers and 30 skeletons.

  We felt that the field wouldn't be fair like that so we built two BURP
mountains to form a pass that the attackers would have to funnel through.
We also through several NPCs onto the mountains to keep it interesting.
Thanks Geoff for manning the rock monster which was throwing rocks into
the pass.  By the time we built the mountains and fielded all of the
troops, it was around 2:00 before we really got going.  We had to vacate
the room by 6:00.  So we started packing at 5:30.

  We definately fielded way too many troops for our experience level.  We
got about 7-8 turns completed.

  My opening cannonball shot (3rd turn) took out 5 SpaceTroopers.  Yeah!
I held my own as the SpaceMen tried to get through a narrow pass and over
rough terrain.

  However, when we had to break, I was already beginning to feel the
effects of attrition on my artillery men.  Eventually, the superior
firepower (that is, range) of the TL5 weapons would have won.  The
SpaceMen were converging on the RockMonster as we had to quit.  He
wouldn't have lasted two more turns.  After that distraction was gone, I
would have felt the full brunt of their attack.  And it wouldn't have been
pretty.  Once those tanks got within range of my keep, it would have been
emtpy fast.

  Based on our experience, a 2-1 ratio of CP for each TL difference seems
about right.  We'll probably do more cross-TL battles and be able to hone
this.

  With my 1900CP and the advantage that NCPs and terrain provided, I'd say
my armie's total battle worth was around 4500-5000CP.  The terrain easily
doubled my effectiveness.  And the RockMonster was going to take almost
the entire combined force of the SpaceMen to kill quickly.  He had ~143AV
(13 Brix of 3d10 rock).

  Based on this, I'd say I was about equal to 1200CP of TL5.  Which is
consistent with the fact that I was doomed against 1900CP.

  Ken took a ton of pictures.  Hopefully, we'll have them on the web
soon.  I'm sure that everyone will have more to add about our battle.  We
had a blast and are already trying to plan a sequel, with much smaller
armies.

  We also hashed out some simplified magic rules while gabbing.  I'll
probably post those tonight or tomorrow.  We came up with an idea for a
truly interesting Wizard.

   Later,
    Gino A...