 Gaming / 92
Re: Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:20:00 GMT

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:48:28 GMT, "LegoMasterLuke"
<drew@netpluscom.com> wrote:

I want to see these pictures myself. That was Ken's digital camera (Not
Adrian's) that did all of the work, right?

Where is Ken going to post the pictures anyway?

Drew Lawrence

Actually Ken has already uploaded the pictures to Brickshelf, but as
of yet they haven't appeared there. I'm not sure if Kevin looks thru
them before allowing others to view them, or perhaps Ken did something
wrong uploading them.

Here is the link to where the pics should appear:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=brickwar

Regarding the actual game, I was quite proud to be the first
casualties of the first Ohio BrikWars event. The hover flyers I
fielded worked well, but were expensive for what they actually did. I
may convert them to some type of wheeled vehicle. Adrian's Spider Mech
was really impressive, I would have liked to see that coming over the
castle walls, but by that time, I'm sure most of my SpaceMen would
have been watching that from their eternal resting place.

A few things that slowed down the game:

1: Too many CP's for our first game.

2: Not being as familiar with the rules as we should have been. This
included not being able to find specific information within the rules,
like how to handle cover and concealment and the penalties to hit
units that have partial cover or concealment. I looked over the rules
again and again, and I haven't found it yet. Also, comprehensive
charts would have been useful listing weapon, vehicle, siege weapon,
building, and trooper types and their stats. Also, penalties for Usage
Ratings and such, i.e. when vehicles are moving, or your target is
under some cover, and other things like other ways to take damage,
from falling, fire, etc., etc. Charts would have made things much,
much easier.

3: Finding out where the missed shots went. Although this had some
interesting, and funny results, I feel it bogged down the game a
little too much. Perhaps this would be something good to keep track of
for thrown weapons so one can retrieve them at a later time. Even then
it should be kept simple, only placing the weapon in the area where it
should have landed.

4: I feel that vehicles turn rates could have been eliminated with
little effect on the game. Perhaps with regular flyers one should have
to keep track of this, but other vehicles, helicopters, tanks, wheeled
vehicles and hoverflyers, this would have little effect when playing
TL5 and above. Most wheeled vehicles and such would have multiple
wheel steering, and their turn rates would be fairly sharp anyway.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things too.

All in all I think it was a good game for our first attempt. My wife
came up with the name BBS, or Buckeye BrikWars Society. Perhaps
something along these lines using the name Buckeye instead of Ohio
might yeild some fun names.

Jeff Christner

Visit Sixby Fire Tech at - http://members.aol.com/regult/

Help support my LEGO habit. Ship by rail.
Visit http://www.nscorp.com/ to find out how.