 Gaming / 82
Subject:
Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 23:53:45 GMT

  The Ohio BrikWars have commenced.  We met today for about 8 hours.
Loads of fun.  We had Drew Lawrence, Adrian Drake and Jeff Christner
fielding TL6 mechs, tanks and troopers against my TL3 keep.  Ken (I didn't
catch his last name) joined us as photographer.  Carolyn Cheney and
friends dropped in to observe.

  We decided to have all of the SpaceMen attack my keep.  I was playing
mostly Castle.  Backed up by 21 cannons.

  I fielded about 1900CP worth of Knights, Archers, Troopers, Scouts,
Cannons and a keep (based on the Royal Knights Castle baseplate).  The
combined space forces were 1900-2000CP.  3-4 Mechs, 2 tanks, 2 hover
craft, a bunch of troopers and 30 skeletons.

  We felt that the field wouldn't be fair like that so we built two BURP
mountains to form a pass that the attackers would have to funnel through.
We also through several NPCs onto the mountains to keep it interesting.
Thanks Geoff for manning the rock monster which was throwing rocks into
the pass.  By the time we built the mountains and fielded all of the
troops, it was around 2:00 before we really got going.  We had to vacate
the room by 6:00.  So we started packing at 5:30.

  We definately fielded way too many troops for our experience level.  We
got about 7-8 turns completed.

  My opening cannonball shot (3rd turn) took out 5 SpaceTroopers.  Yeah!
I held my own as the SpaceMen tried to get through a narrow pass and over
rough terrain.

  However, when we had to break, I was already beginning to feel the
effects of attrition on my artillery men.  Eventually, the superior
firepower (that is, range) of the TL5 weapons would have won.  The
SpaceMen were converging on the RockMonster as we had to quit.  He
wouldn't have lasted two more turns.  After that distraction was gone, I
would have felt the full brunt of their attack.  And it wouldn't have been
pretty.  Once those tanks got within range of my keep, it would have been
emtpy fast.

  Based on our experience, a 2-1 ratio of CP for each TL difference seems
about right.  We'll probably do more cross-TL battles and be able to hone
this.

  With my 1900CP and the advantage that NCPs and terrain provided, I'd say
my armie's total battle worth was around 4500-5000CP.  The terrain easily
doubled my effectiveness.  And the RockMonster was going to take almost
the entire combined force of the SpaceMen to kill quickly.  He had ~143AV
(13 Brix of 3d10 rock).

  Based on this, I'd say I was about equal to 1200CP of TL5.  Which is
consistent with the fact that I was doomed against 1900CP.

  Ken took a ton of pictures.  Hopefully, we'll have them on the web
soon.  I'm sure that everyone will have more to add about our battle.  We
had a blast and are already trying to plan a sequel, with much smaller
armies.

  We also hashed out some simplified magic rules while gabbing.  I'll
probably post those tonight or tomorrow.  We came up with an idea for a
truly interesting Wizard.

   Later,
    Gino A...

Re: Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Gino A. Melone writes:
[...]

Hurray! Pics! I get inspired by the sight of masses of mini-figs running off
to the their doom :)

Groovy stuff
Justin Chilsett

Re: Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Gino A. Melone writes:
The Ohio BrikWars have commenced.  We met today for about 8 hours.
Loads of fun.  We had Drew Lawrence, Adrian Drake and Jeff Christner
fielding TL6 mechs, tanks and troopers against my TL3 keep.  Ken (I didn't
catch his last name) joined us as photographer.  Carolyn Cheney and
friends dropped in to observe.

TL5, actually.

We decided to have all of the SpaceMen attack my keep.  I was playing
mostly Castle.  Backed up by 21 cannons.

I fielded about 1900CP worth of Knights, Archers, Troopers, Scouts,
Cannons and a keep (based on the Royal Knights Castle baseplate).  The
combined space forces were 1900-2000CP.  3-4 Mechs, 2 tanks, 2 hover
craft, a bunch of troopers and 30 skeletons.

Drew fielded 3 mecha, a tank, and a jeep, plus troops.  Jeff had 2 hoverflyers
and a bunch of troops, and I had a mech, a heavy assault transport, a bunch of
troops, and 50 skeletons.  Of course, the skeletons vaporized in a puff of
magic smoke when we decided the battlefield was WAY too crowded.

We felt that the field wouldn't be fair like that so we built two BURP
mountains to form a pass that the attackers would have to funnel through.
We also through several NPCs onto the mountains to keep it interesting.
Thanks Geoff for manning the rock monster which was throwing rocks into
the pass.  By the time we built the mountains and fielded all of the
troops, it was around 2:00 before we really got going.  We had to vacate
the room by 6:00.  So we started packing at 5:30.

I had plenty of fun vaporizing Jar-Jar's (who populated one of the Burp
mountains).  It would've taken 2 or 3 rounds of full on attacks to kill that
darn rock monster too.  It's interesting to have to fight against extremely
powerful creatures like that.

We definately fielded way too many troops for our experience level.  We
got about 7-8 turns completed.

It was a combination of armies being too large and discussions of rules.  Next
time we should do a lot better, I think.  Slightly smaller armies and a better
grasp of gameplay should speed things up nicely.

My opening cannonball shot (3rd turn) took out 5 SpaceTroopers.  Yeah!
I held my own as the SpaceMen tried to get through a narrow pass and over
rough terrain.

That was an amazing shot.  The crocodiles loved feasting on the corpses too :)

However, when we had to break, I was already beginning to feel the
effects of attrition on my artillery men.  Eventually, the superior
firepower (that is, range) of the TL5 weapons would have won.  The
SpaceMen were converging on the RockMonster as we had to quit.  He
wouldn't have lasted two more turns.  After that distraction was gone, I
would have felt the full brunt of their attack.  And it wouldn't have been
pretty.  Once those tanks got within range of my keep, it would have been
emtpy fast.

Especially since my assault transport (with a MK3 Mortar) never got in range,
due to the terrain and a stupid opening move on my part.  I couldn't drive it
over the embankment of the river because it rode too low to the ground, so I
had to take the long way around to the mouth of the river, and never made it.
3 or 4 more turns and my mortar would've been in range, and then his castle
would've been toast!

[...]

I think we should finetune some Uberwizard and skeleton supplements.  We have
some neat ideas regarding skeletons and skeleton heroes.

  Later,
   Gino A...

Adrian

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.fun.gaming, Gino A. Melone writes:
The Ohio BrikWars have commenced.  We met today for about 8 hours.
Loads of fun.  We had Drew Lawrence, Adrian Drake and Jeff Christner
fielding TL6 mechs, tanks and troopers against my TL3 keep.  Ken (I didn't
catch his last name) joined us as photographer.  Carolyn Cheney and
friends dropped in to observe.

Ken is Jeff Christner's sister's husband. I don't know his last name either.

I fielded about 1900CP worth of Knights, Archers, Troopers, Scouts,
Cannons and a keep (based on the Royal Knights Castle baseplate).  The
combined space forces were 1900-2000CP.  3-4 Mechs, 2 tanks, 2 hover
craft, a bunch of troopers and 30 skeletons.

Drew fielded 3 mecha, a tank, and a jeep, plus troops.

3 mecha? I only had 2 -- the black Locust and the [mostly] white Raven.

Jeff had 2 hoverflyers
and a bunch of troops, and I had a mech, a heavy assault transport, a bunch of
troops, and 50 skeletons.  Of course, the skeletons vaporized in a puff of
magic smoke when we decided the battlefield was WAY too crowded.

That was so cool. And yes, that one area was WAAAY too crowded.

We felt that the field wouldn't be fair like that so we built two BURP
mountains to form a pass that the attackers would have to funnel through.
We also through several NPCs onto the mountains to keep it interesting.
Thanks Geoff for manning the rock monster which was throwing rocks into
the pass.  By the time we built the mountains and fielded all of the
troops, it was around 2:00 before we really got going.  We had to vacate
the room by 6:00.  So we started packing at 5:30.

I got off my first [successful] attack at 5:30, either. :(

I had plenty of fun vaporizing Jar-Jar's (who populated one of the Burp
mountains).

That was cool, how you completely vaporized the first Jar Jar. :) One little
blood smear on the side of the mountain...

It would've taken 2 or 3 rounds of full on attacks to kill that
darn rock monster too.  It's interesting to have to fight against extremely
powerful creatures like that.
It was a combination of armies being too large and discussions of rules.
Next
time we should do a lot better, I think.  Slightly smaller armies and a better
grasp of gameplay should speed things up nicely.

The armies can stay the same size, however -- we just needed more time.
Another 4 hours would have been nice. And yes, a better grasp of gameplay will
make things run much more smoothly.

My opening cannonball shot (3rd turn) took out 5 SpaceTroopers.  Yeah!
I held my own as the SpaceMen tried to get through a narrow pass and over
rough terrain.

That was an amazing shot.  The crocodiles loved feasting on the corpses too :)

That was the first time I got to use my "bucket of blood!"

However, when we had to break, I was already beginning to feel the
effects of attrition on my artillery men.  Eventually, the superior
firepower (that is, range) of the TL5 weapons would have won.  The
SpaceMen were converging on the RockMonster as we had to quit.  He
wouldn't have lasted two more turns.  After that distraction was gone, I
would have felt the full brunt of their attack.  And it wouldn't have been
pretty.  Once those tanks got within range of my keep, it would have been
emtpy fast.

Oh yeah. Your castle would have been full of "blood smears." My one mech, the
black Locust, was tall enough to shoot OVER your castle walls. :) That would
have been tricky, though, as it had lasers as a primary weapon.

Ken took a ton of pictures.  Hopefully, we'll have them on the web
soon.  I'm sure that everyone will have more to add about our battle.  We
had a blast and are already trying to plan a sequel, with much smaller
armies.

I want to see these pictures myself. That was Ken's digital camera (Not
Adrian's) that did all of the work, right?

Where is Ken going to post the pictures anyway?

Drew Lawrence

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Drew Lawrence writes:
Drew fielded 3 mecha, a tank, and a jeep, plus troops.

3 mecha? I only had 2 -- the black Locust and the [mostly] white Raven.

Oh, I guess you didn't field the little mecha you showed me before the
festivities started.  Don't mind me :)

Jeff had 2 hoverflyers
and a bunch of troops, and I had a mech, a heavy assault transport, a bunch • of
troops, and 50 skeletons.  Of course, the skeletons vaporized in a puff of
magic smoke when we decided the battlefield was WAY too crowded.

That was so cool. And yes, that one area was WAAAY too crowded.

If the bowling pin hadn't been there, it would've been fine though.

I want to see these pictures myself. That was Ken's digital camera (Not
Adrian's) that did all of the work, right?

Where is Ken going to post the pictures anyway?

Right, that was Ken's camera.  I believe he's going to post them on
Brickshelf, and then if I feel like it, I'll pull them down and make a web
page with more information about each picture.

Adrian

Re: Inaugural Ohio BrikWars Meeting