 Fun / Gaming / 60
Re: A BrikWars question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:48:31 GMT

I am preparing to field a Medieval army and I have some suggestions
for changes.  Looking at the charts for hand-held missile weapons, the
range for bows seems too short.

It's true; we were trying to keep the range lower than Pistols, which had to
be lower than Rifles, which had to be lower than Siege Weapons, which had to
be lower than two feet or nobody would be able to clear enough space for a
proper battlefield.  You're absolutely right, though, a Longbow's range should
rival or exceed that of most rifles' effective range; the problem is
differentiating between a Longbow and a Shortbow.  The bow piece is not real
easy to modify; the best you can do is hook a claw piece on the handle to make
it look like a combination bow.

   Cross Bow: 1UR when used one-handed

I assume you mean +1UR?  That's a good idea.

   Short Bow: 6" range
   Long Bow: 12" range, 1d6 damage, 1CP, 1UR, TL2
LBows would need to be distinguished from SBows.  Add a piece, like
rifles.

I'd make Longbows 2CP, since they are a lot closer to crossbows in value than
shortbows.  But I still haven't thought of a good way to distinguish them.
Which TL did longbows first show up in?  When was that famous battle of St.
Crispian's Day?

I think you're right about boosting the Short Bow's range also, it should
probably be on par with the Pirate Flintlock Pistol at least.  I'll probably
end up revising the TL3 pistols and rifles a little bit too to even it out.

On a seperate note, but related, I can't find the rules for
acceleration.  I see references to them.  I see a way to ignore them.
I can't find the actual rules.  Is this a subtle way to suggest they
should be ignored?  <voice style="pitiful, squeaky"> help </voice>.

Well that was left as an exercise for the student.  The maximum acceleration
and deceleration per turn are listed with the vehicle chassis cost; whether
and how you keep track of them is up to you.

Just kidding, I'll make it a little more clear in the HTML rulebook.
Basically, if your vehicle has a maximum speed (for instance) of 10" and a
maximum accel/decel of 5", from a standing start, it can go five inches on its
first turn, ten inches on its second turn, slow back down to five inches on
its third turn, and stop completely on its fourth turn.

I also have some thoughts on spears and lances.  But I need to work
those out in my head.

I'll be glad to hear them of course.  Thanks for all the input!

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm