 Gaming / 62
Re: A BrikWars question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Gino A. Melone writes:
I was thinking to just hang something off of the bow, somewhere.  The
other thing I might do, is use color.  I'm pretty sure I have a good
number of both black and brown bows.  Or, I could only field LBows.

These are all good ideas.  I think we might actually add a TL4 combination
bow, in case anybody wants to field Rambo or some TL4 Ninjas or something.

I'd make Longbows 2CP, since they are a lot closer to crossbows in
value than shortbows.
I originally intended to cost this at 2CP.  When I did the mod's
math, it was only 1CP.  Than I thought about it some more and decided
that a LBow is really not much more expensive to make than a SBow.

CP values aren't really supposed to reflect expense of building, but general
battlefield value.  But if you want to talk about cost of construction, it
takes a lot longer to train a longbowman than a shortbowman, due to the upper-
body strength needed and accuracy at longer ranges.

BTW, the UR for a CBow should be substantially lower than a LBow.

I've copied all of this over into the revision plan and we'll probably make a
lot of these changes for the next update.

Well that was left as an exercise for the student.  The maximum
acceleration and deceleration per turn are listed with the vehicle
chassis cost; whether and how you keep track of them is up to you.
Putting them into a column in the chart would make them easier to
spot.  I never noticed them.

We're going to be making some small changes to the accel/decel rules, so that
Movement Penalties from cargo and mounted weapons affect acceleration.
Acceleration will have to be something you calculate from the vehicle's Move
and -MP", so I don't know if we'll be able to put static figures in the
charts.  Accel/Decel will get its own chapter subsection though so it should
be more visible.

Mostly, I am thinking about the advantage of setting a lance or spear
against a charge.  I think using the rules you have for damage when
charging would work.  If I have time to set my spear, I may do damage
to the charger which is equivalent to the damage he'd do to me if he
had my weapon.  Make sense?

Straight out of Braveheart, right?  Yeah, that's the way I would do it.  The
only question is whether the charging units would get a roll to try and
dodge.  I guess the rider would make a Piloting roll with a UR of 3 to try and
brake or turn sharply, failure meaning he runs straight into the spear or his
horse turns too sharply and falls over sideways onto the spear.

One more thing.  I'd love to see a cheat sheet.  All of the charts

One last thing I'd like (pushy, isn't he?).  Which may exist in the
'98 rules, I haven't really read them.  A tutorial sort of thing.

What's funny is, all the cheat sheets exist in bw98, and we're planning on
doing the same thing for bw2k, but this tutorial thing we hadn't thought of.
It's a great idea though, I'll see if I can't put one together to stick in one
of the appendixes somewhere, sometime in May.

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm