 Events / BrickWorld / 336
Re: Brickworld - Train Drag Racing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:07:41 GMT

Check out all the rules <http://www.brickworld.us/?m=info&o=26 here>

Thanks to Joe Ellenbecker for conceiving and running this compeition!!

Can you clarify this rule in the Diesel Class (rule 2):
"... If using something other than 9V you need to provide your own control
unit."

Does this also apply to other classes (mainly, unlimited class), whereas you
can use alternate power sources?  If so, do they have to be official LEGO
power sources (as interpreted from Unlimited Class rule 1):
"Must be built of Lego parts. You can modify parts, crack open and tinker
with motors, and pretty much do what ever you heart desires."

I ask these questions to simply find out how far into "unlimited" I can go
before I get disqualified.  Given the way I read the original rules, I would
presume you could do this in the unlimited class [my interpretation]:

* Build a train (or some facsimile) that does not necessarily need to look
like a prototype train locomotive from LEGO parts.
* You may use any non-modified or modified motor and power sources, as long
as they originated from LEGO products.
* You must use a train speed regulator connected to the track (both provided
by Joe) for racing your locomotive, although that does not mean it has to be
the primary source of power for your motors.

-----------------

Having had some conversations with Joe today via email about some other
clarifications, I thought I would give a summary of what he has told me so
we can all have it on the same page, so to speak:

Questions (pertaining to the unlimited class):

Q1: Will the entrant's locomotives be required to go both forward AND
reverse for the competition?

A: You will only have to run forward.

Q2: "Must be built of LEGO parts in its entirety"?  Is this only for the
locomotive itself, or does this also include the propulsion mechanism
(motor, drive train, power source). Can I use motors from other sources
instead of lego motors?
And, does "pretty much do what ever your heart desires" leave it wide open
for custom electronics, custom motors, custom power sources?  You might want
to mention to people they can't use flammables, rocket motors, or any other
dangerous open flame combustion propulsion!

A: As for the power you can modify any style of Lego's motors from any of
their building systems.  If the motor housing is cut to fit a larger motor
that is fine.  It should bear some resemblance to a Lego part that has been
modified.  An after market engine that is simply glued and screwed to a Lego
part is no good.  If you dare to make a flame combustion propulsion engine
that fits into these parameters that is fine.  You melt my track and we're
going to have issues!  In a nutshell custom motor OK (must resemble a Lego
part), custom electronics OK (must be well hidden), custom power source NO
GO.  I'll provide standard power packs.

Q3: What is beyond the 15 ft of track [for coasting/stopping purposes].

A: My layout is 20 ft long.  That gives us an extra few feet of run off and
I'll have an extra table to move too.  So the run off won't be an issue.
I'll also have extra boxcars on standby for any accidents.

So it seems there are some limitations to the unlimited class.  IMO, that
makes it more a modified class.  I'd be very interested in seeing a true
unlimited class.  Any takers?  If we play fair and by "some" rule set, may
Joe will let us add this sanction!

Play Fast,
Rob
www.lifelites.com