 Events / BrickFest / 3844
Re: BrickFest 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:44:04 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Now that BrickFest in DC has been canceled, maybe Brickworld will
grow into a big summer event, but it was NEVER intended as a replacement.

Nor, I suspect, as competition.

Judging from how difficult it is to coordinate things like Thanksgiving dinner
or a simple family reunion, I can only imagine the difficulty pulling together a
big event, like the two Brickfests I attended in 2005 and 2006.  Furthermore,
memories of returning to Nashville with the boys at 2am CT from Brickfest 2006
and then getting them to school at 8am, made thoughts of returning to a possible
Brickfest 2007 in DC a bittersweet proposition.  So, in that sense, I feel some
relief that Christina and company will be able to have some time to breathe this
summer instead of taking care of 400 friends coming to visit.

With Brickworld surfacing in June, we get a new event in a new venue, which is
always exciting.  So, that's a good thing.  The drive is a little shorter from
middle-Tennessee and I have a number of friends in the Chicago area and the kids
won't need to miss school; so it works well for me.  I am sorry for those on the
East coast for whom the drive is now substantial or not even possible.  I know
how that feels to not be able to attend due to distance.

Nothing ever stays the same; events come and go; people move in and out; colours
change (rats).  Let us not lament a summer without Brickfest.  Let us embrace
what we have had (Thank you to Christina and Joe and all involved with past DC
Brickfests!) and what we will have (Thank you to Steve and Bryan and Brian and
the Brickworld crew!).

In the end, it is what we make of it.  Appreciate what we have and what we have
had and the people willing to sacrifice the time and effort and money to make it
happen.  The only thing that is certain is change.

Oh, gotta get back to work!
Rafe