 Events / BrickFest / 3833
3832  |  3834
Subject:
BrickFest 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:18:35 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

a side and personal note to the community/those of you who know me:

After BrickFest 2006 I was energized and encouraged by others to get back to work and refocus the event on the fans.  Bigger does not mean better. Micro MOC's are a great example of that! After talking with many of you who attended, I was eager to get the ball rolling.  So, I've visited several cities and talked with numerous convention and visitor bureaus as well as over 15 different hotels.   Maybe my standards are too high, but finding a good accessible venue really isn't easy. Finding enough space and at a price that is reasonable is an even bigger challenge.  Also when planning an event, it is important to take into consideration other community events like national and regional events and related events like the NMRA National Train Show. Surely NMRA/NTS is a very theme specific event, unlike BrickFest which celebrates all aspects of the hobby, but it is something that many clubs participate in, so taking the timing of it into account makes sense.  But I digress.

I've had long talks with both family and friends, and have had to make some
tough choices about the BrickFest schedule for 2007. Unfortunately, I can’t say
the same for BrickFest in the summer. I do not have the sufficient resources to
pull the summer BrickFest event together in a way I would be happy about.  Those
of you who know me know that I put 110% into making BrickFest a great event, and
you also know that BrickFest is not about one person, it is about the community
coming together, pooling its resources both creative talents and personal time,
so that everyone goes home with a sense of fulfillment, but I nevertheless think
it can't be achieved this year.

I feel like I am letting the east coast community down, and this has been a tough choice. However, I can't encourage you all enough to consider attending BrickFest PDX in Portland.  I have to say that BrickFest PDX is going to be great!  Those of you who have been around for a while will remember BrickFest 2001-2003 as great years, where new friendships and partnerships were established.   There's something about Portland that seems to foster the same things.   The space is ideal for a huge display as well as a BrickBazzar.   Steve, Kelly and I have talked about how PDX will be a reunion of sorts, and we are really looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new people.  We have a great venue with over 30,000 square feet of play/display space, not including the session rooms. We are going back to a schedule that seemed to work well for everyone; meaning that BrickFest will be open to the general public for only one day (Sunday).  Thus the focus will be on fan camaraderie, not on the public.

Christina