 Events / BrickFest / 3781
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Frank Filz wrote:
Benjamin Ellermann wrote:
Other venues outside of Washington will be explored.  Many fans have
brought up the fact that a centralized location could cut down
driving and flight times and encourage more fans to attend.  Many
midwest cities offer convention centers and lower hotel and food
costs.  The main problem with cities like Indianapolis, Cincinnati,
St. Louis, Kansas City, etc is they do not currently have LEGO Brand
Stores.  The Chicago area has three stores.  This is a very large
draw for fans attending BrickFest.  The savings found at stores can
offset expenses such as travel and hotels.  Holding BrickFest in a
city without a store is not impossible, but it is unlikely.

Personally I think a LEGO retail store is not a necessity (look at BrickFest
PDX, or the first couple NW BrickCons, of course now both Seattle and PDX do
have stores). In fact, in the past, I used to curse it's existence as a
serious distraction from the event. Having the big day be Thursday night,
and a hop skip and a jump away from the hotel changed that, but in the past,
Sunday was basically a dead day because in the morning everyone trekked down
to Potomac Mills, some not to return, others not to return until 1-2 PM
(after having lunch down there or just waiting in line forever). Of course
by 2 PM, people are starting to leave and things are winding down.

If the location is changed, one thing I would toss for consideration is one
of the major airline hub cities. Having a non-stop flight saves a lot of
hassle. Of course Chicago then is a good choice there...

Another consideration is the existence of a local club (granted, Indy does
have one, not sure how active).

I would really like to see future events address the fact that trying to
have the attendees of a 400+ person event all in a store with 2 cash
registers at once is a disaster... I'm not sure what the solution is. One
thing would be to bring the special pickings to the con location, and have
people do their mad grab, and then put their name on their stash. Throughout
the weekend, their totals would be rung up, and at their convenience, they
could come in and cash out (with all cashing out required to be done by say
Noon on Sunday so if they skip out, the stuff can be made available to
others so the retailer isn't stuck with a bunch of stuff). In fact, they
could process the small purchases first, I'm sure the big buyers would be
happy to not have to deal with their stash until Sunday morning.

Frank

i'm a little partial since i live in the chicago burbs but chicago really is the
ideal location. between the "L"lines metra and the other sorces of
transportatin, getting around the area is fairly easy. hotels can be as cheap as
$40 a night and there are literaly tons of convention halls. i would be more
than happy to do some driving / research to make this happen. let me know how
much convention space will be needed and i'll find something within 20mins of
ohare airport reachable by mass transit.
ondrew