 Events / BrickFest / 3774
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.in.ind
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 02:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Benjamin Ellermann wrote:
In lugnet.events, Jordan Bradford wrote:
A small contingent of folks expressed interest in moving BrickFest to
Indianapolis next year due to its several positive factors:

- It is closer to the many AFOLs who don't live on or near the east coast.
- It is cheaper to get a hotel room than in the Washington D.C. area
- More imporantly, it is cheaper than another centrally located city, Chicago.
- It has a large convention center, and BrickFest was already too big for the
Sheraton Premiere this year

I'm not speaking for anyone on the BrickFest staff -- I'd just like to know if
anyone else thinks BrickFest needs to stay in the D.C. area, if a cheaper place
to stay is helpful, if some other location is closer to where you live, etc.

Jordan,

I do not mean to speak for Christina or the BrickFest 2007 Staff but I do have a
few comments:

Other venues outside of Washington will be explored.  Many fans have brought up
the fact that a centralized location could cut down driving and flight times and
encourage more fans to attend.  Many midwest cities offer convention centers and
lower hotel and food costs.  The main problem with cities like Indianapolis,
Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc is they do not currently have LEGO Brand
Stores.  The Chicago area has three stores.  This is a very large draw for fans
attending BrickFest.  The savings found at stores can offset expenses such as
travel and hotels.  Holding BrickFest in a city without a store is not
impossible, but it is unlikely.

Ben Ellermann
BrickFest 2006 Castle Co-Coordinator

If a proper venue could be aquired, such as the Indianapolis Convention Center,
then there would be ample room for an enormous Brick Bazzar.  A LEGO store is a
great thing to have at Brickfest, but without one, the people selling on site
could do much more business.

I've been to the LEGO stores in the Chicago area, and I love them.  BUT they are
smaller than the Patomic Mills store, and thus would make the mad rush even more
maddening.

I for one am willing to help with BrickFest, should it come to Indianapolis.

David "Fuzzy" Gregory
IndyLUG Secretary