 Events / BrickFest / 3772
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 02:05:16 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:

As a member of IndyLUG, I would say that we are a very active club, having around 15 strong members and 27 total on our roster. We’ve averaged 7-9 public shows a year for the past three years. Along with the LafLRC, only 30-40 miles away ready to lend a hand, we could easily have 30+ locals ready to do what we can. I wanted to wait to post so that I could gather some thoughts from club members, and hope they don’t mind me volunteering them on their behalf.

No disrespect to Frank, Jeramy, or anyone, but an active club is not, in my mind a prerequisite for a convention. The Washington Metropolitan Area has two active clubs, an LTC and a LUG. Neither plays an overly dominant role. I am not saying they do not have a significant part to play. Certainly getting train tables and local support is essential in the planning and on the day of the event. There are many other services the local members provide.

BrickFest has always been about volunteers that come from all over the North American continent. Janey coordinated the first Micro gathering and Piere coordinated “stuff” and both are from Canada. Frank from the west coast coordinate Pirate stuff. Train has been coordinated from Georgia and other locations.

Do not get me wrong. A local club would come in handy for logistics and other planning and event day actions. But, do not think that an event like BrickFest cannot be pulled off without an active club.

Does anyone know how NorthWest BrickCon is organized?

Todd