Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:22:44 GMT

(XP to .org.cw 'coz part of it is about CW stories... but not FUT 'coz it's
not totally CW. if replying to the CW part, kindly FUT .org.cw!)

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
<snip>

Sounds like a great layout! Using hinges is really good, I like accessible
interiors (they make excellent story material ;-)

Yep, and since this is being built specifically for a story, accessible
interiors are very important!  I actually always try to have accessible
interiors, just because things are so much cooler that way.  After all,
why have an interior if you can't use it?

Right!
On an aside, interiors are my favorite part of buildings.... somewhat because
it's just as challanging getting all those little things just right as it is
getting the big pieces together. Also, interiors are just fun, and my personal
favorites (just because, y'know?).

My main inspirations for this were the Wolfpack Tower (er, made very
large), the way some of the Castle sets could open up into a larger facade
(sort of like the yellow castle), and the NLNLF's childhood handmade
dollhouse (for thinking about accessibility issues).

My inspirations were Majisto's Magical Workshop, my first castle set, and a
very cool-looking (at the time) "dollhouse" (1) that had an accesible interior.

My biggest MOC (to date, I think) was a house that sat on 4 16x32 tan BPs that
were aranged in a rectangle (32x64)... but opened up to a 16x128. It was quite
nice, altho' pretty weird looking 'coz every section was a different color ;-)

Picking up those Adventurer sets on clearance really added to my
collection of tiles, but if I keep using them at this rate...

Hmmm... which ones?

Cool! I really need some inspiration on majickal workshops so I'm counting on
you! ;-)

Gack, talk about pressure!

<waving fingers toward Jeff> peer pressure, peer pressure!  >:-O

Well, the sea cave is pretty well defended and of course well known to the
occupants of the castle.  In fact, the castle was built over it precisely
because it was a potential alternate escape route, or a way for supplies
to be brought in in the case of a seige.

Oh, OK. Still has much potential anyhow!

LOL! First you try to get her into lego, now you need the bricks ;-)

Try? I almost think I have succeeded!

Well, you know what I mean... :-)

Hmm.... my 6090 should be returning to my hands in July... I should prolly
examine the possibilties... Mwahahaha!

<gulp> I actually try never to destroy or alter a unique part in the fear
that I might want it in it's original form someday.  That's why I'm only
brasso'ing my extras of that wall section...

Well, I didn't say I'd be brasso'ing them; I just said I'll hafta check it out.

Ouch. That's the same with my inn (which shows you my very "large"
collection). I'm not going to take it apart soon, no way; yet I have no grey
bricks left.

We need a support group or something. 8)  "Hi, I'm Jeff, and I can't bear
to take my completed LEGO models apart..."

"Hi, I'm Shiri, and I can't take my lego models apart..." (not even the
incomplete ones! eg. Lion's Cove... it's been sitting there w/o progress for
three months now... but not for much longer... I promise!)

I'll just have to settle for so-called "movie sets" to shoot my stories,
obviously I can't have a full castle or anything.

Sets are a great way to "suggest" larger buildings, and for the same
amount of time spent you can of course have a fantastic amount of detail!

I agree! Just like interiors, but this applies to anything (outdoors, indoors,
anywhere)

I'm going to be doing some experiments with 'bluescreening' also, so I can
display pictures of my creations that don't look like they're sitting on
my kitchen counter.  Photoshop, here I come...

I tried this. Too bad I hadn't thought of that when I took the specific pics I
tried it on; they have too many bg colors mixed. I have to take these against
a wall from now on...

Well, I'm lucky that way- my inn will play a pretty major role, it's great
because it serves as a meeting place for all the important people, as well as
any passer-by characters.

Lucky you. Heh.  I've been pondering the building of an inn and a few
small houses for a village, but that'll need to wait until my NLCs get
here - I'm *also* running out of doors...

Doors are actually the least of my worries right now... but it doesn't help if
I don't have bricks!

(I may need to change that later... perhaps
someone else can occupy it after it serves its role in the plot.  Who
occupies it now?  An old..."friend"...of the Red Fox...)

Well... that can be another part of the story (how the new occupants took
over, why, the works).

Oy, as if I didn't have enough story to tell...

Actually, I have so much story, I just haven't been motivated to do the