 Castle / 792
Re: Golden Tap Inn posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:03:00 GMT

Ben Roller wrote:

Speaking of the farm, I've been wondering about something.  Does anyone know
what you call that style of architecture with the black lines on white walls?

In N AMerica it's usually called "Tudor" (and of course there isn't any
real Tudor, it's all mock Tudor". Growing up in the UK I always heard it
called "half timbering". The (british) book I have about it calls it
"Timber Framed" and says the common names are "half timber" and "black
and white". Confused yet?  The "Tudor" name usually refers to modern
copies of the style which are purely decorative.

It orginated in Britain and Europe before the Middle Ages (earliest
surviving buildings in Britain are 13th century) and looks the way it
does because the black parts are the timber frame (not always black,
incidentally, often "aged timber" color in buildings which have not been
painted to make them look more like what people thought "black-an-white"
should look like!) and the white (or other color) parts are infill of
various kinds: may be wattle-and-daub (woven branches - the "wattle" -
and mud mixed with straw and dung - the "daub"), oak laths or boards,
thin slabs of stone, or brick. These were limewashed (except brick,
often left natural) hence the white panels.

One thing that always bothers me about most Lego interpretations is that
the horizontal black lines are only one plate thick, whereas the
uprights are of course one brick wide. The uprights and horizontal
timbers should be about the same thickness.

The really difficult part in Lego is the diagonal bracing. I am planning
to try out some ideas for solving both these problems soon...

Kevin
--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com
Web page: