 Castle / 765
Re: Lego/playmobile ramble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:06:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Rachel Kingston writes:
Hi all,

At the risk of being jumped on simultaneously, by thousands of AFOL's (or
having thousands of Timmy's thrown at me) I just finished having a look at • the
playmobil site, and came away with much food for thought.

Firstly I was struck with the resemblance to Lego thematically, trains,
castle, western, pirates, town, on closer inspection, there were many sets
that seemed almost identical (thematically and piece wise, remembering that
playmobil don't do bricks as such, just minifigs, burps and spuds)

So much so, that I started to wonder who was copying from who? I decided
loyally, as the good AFOL that I am, that THEY must be copying from Lego.
Then a further set search revealed an interesting (to me anyway) coincidence
(or not?)

Hee.

It's apparently no longer a part of the product line, but you should
see the Playmobil Ghost.  It's such a ringer for the LEGO ghost that
it could be the LEGO ghost's giant economy-sized brother.

I don't think I still have the box, unfortunately, so I can't
check the copyright to see who came up with the ghost first.
I remember posting about it before -- maybe I mentioned it ....

(goes to dejanews, finds the post ... shoot.)

|Playmobil ghost
|Date: 1995/05/01
|Author: The Nephilim <jeff@teubner.com>
|
|Whilst searching for Legos, I ran across a box of Playmobil figures for sale
|. . and just had to get the ghost!  It looks remarkably like a huge version
|of our old friend, the Lego Castle Ghost!  It looks great menacing my castle
|figures.  :-)
|
|Hopefully the last Playmobil I ever buy - I certainly don't need any other
|expensive toy hobbies.

|--

|jeff@teubner.com          "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily."

So, no clue.  I can't believe I didn't check the box then.  It was
being cleared out in 1995 ... the first lego ghost came in, what,
6081?  I don't remember.  Without the box for the playmobil figure,
I couldn't say.  I save all my LEGO boxes ... I wonder if I saved
... I'll look when I get home .... (wanders off muttering)

Anyway, I'm left wondering who came up with the ghost, first, too.

Have another look around the playmobil site Jeff, cause the ghost is still
there - it is number 3317 in the knights catagory.

Thats the other thing that Playmobil do, that Lego should copy, all the
Playmobil sets are around long enough to actually have the  money to purchase
before discontinuing.

So you posted this in 1995? and its still available? now I really wish Lego
would do that!

Playmobil seemed to be more expensive than Lego,though. Perhaps thats fair
seeing as the pieces are larger, and just as detailed.
Yesterday, the price I was quoted on one figure, with two or three small
accessories, was $17Aus. I was a bit shocked at the price, and I thought Lego
was expensive!

Rachel :-)