 Castle / 6861
  Monument of Mine

During the Thanksgiving weekend - amongst being glued to CNN and C-SPAN - I had plenty of time to work on a project. I felt a medieval town shouldn't be without some sort of statue or monument in the town square. (URL) Thank you TRU for putting your (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle) !!

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Wow! That is impressive. Great idea, and well-executed. I love the Beast of Baden - nice use. Having everything in dark grey really makes it work. Very well done, IMHO. James (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Totally AWESOME! It is excellent, you packed a lot into a small space! Very ornate, the little details are great. I love the blend of Castle, Ninja and Star Wars. Did you have to paint some pieces or edit the pictures a little? (re: the gray (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

Bill, Caught me! I actually painted the male hair piece and the Amidala hair piece. I was debating whether to do this, and decided since I had so many, one of each wouldn't hurt. After hours (okay....minutes) of grueling mixing testors paint, I (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) I loved the monument - a wonderfully thought out sculpture. Would it be self-defeating to depict Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in gray? :-) Bruce (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

In lugnet.castle, Kyle Peterson writes: [...] (...) Fantastic! Your Monument was a joy to explore. so much dark gray, I 'wow'ed at realizing what many of those elements were. made me go find a dino and flip it over. I like the format of historic (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

That's just cool as heck. I haven't seen a monument as detailed and thoughtful as yours. Good show! ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

What if you depict the Green Knight in verdigris? ;^D ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Very nice! You've done a great job depicting Gawain's exploits in LEGO form =). You need to brainstorm up more ideas like this! You're right about every medieval town needing a statue or monument, now I have this urge to build one for my own (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) The color is perfect, and it was almost undiscernable that it had been painted. (...) I don't think black would work as well, too hard to take pictures - shadows and glare, etc. Bill (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

Oddly enough I had a similar conversation with one of the Master Builders at LEGOLAND, CA this past week... He was showing me one of his "monument" creations for the Brick-Or-Treat activities at LEGOLAND this past Halloween. It was done in all (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Ask and ye shall receive. ;-) (URL)Question to anyone reading this: Would an all black monument look tacky? I (...) I think an all black monument would look pretty good. If most of the pictures were closups of the figures, they should look (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

Darn, you mean I have to wait? *gets antsy* BTW, you just *know* that the dude with the evil face in the upper right will make an appearance in everybody's "evil knights" batallion. -Kyle (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

That's pure sweetness! I loved looking at every picture! All the figures were excellently posed, especially the ninja doing the splits (great idea, two left legs) and the slaying of the Beast of Badon. I can't wait to see your other monuments! (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) lovely implementation of the statue idea on larger scale, and all those dk. grey pieces work great. *Very* nice. As for black statues mentioned-- they might not photo well unless in close-up, but hey, if they look good in person, it might be (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Hey Kyle, What's the secret to taking the dinosaurs apart? I haven't tried it yet for fear of breaking them. Do you have nay tips for getting the two halves apart from each other without causing permanent damage? Matt (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

It's actually quite simple. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Next, place the dinosaur right side up on some glass corning ware and stick it in the oven. Let it sit for about 3-5 minutes. Grab some oven mits and take it out. The heat pretty much (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) How in the WORLD did you come across this method? Experimentation? Thanks for the info! Matt (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) Well, if he took advanced chemistry (or maybe just general grab-bag knowledge) he would know that plastics (as most polymers) don't have an exact melting point, but a melting range, so that they soften gradually and not melt into liquid like (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

I used to be into customizing action figures and what not. One of the methods used was to heat up the plastic to assist in pulling the figure apart, or make different poses. I figured this would work on LEGO as well. For my next Castle sculpture (...) (23 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) -- Richard P.S. Maybe we can have a discussion about the use of firearms in the Arthurian legends if not in CW... (23 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Monument of Mine

(...) (23 years ago, 30-May-01, to lugnet.castle)