 Castle / 5841
Re: Update on my village
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:34:43 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Elliott writes:
I tend to only build hill slopes in increments of a full brick, mostly
because of the limited availability of green plates.  Do you use
plate-increment slopes?  If you use brick-increments, how do you make
roads look good, since they're necessarily plate-sloped?

As John has already said, a lot of the secret is using plates underneath the
bricks :) When building, I realized I needed the waterwheel to have somewhere
between 2 and 3 bricks worth of space (2 wasn't QUITE enough, 3 was plenty)
between the bottom of the building and the actual 'ground' (the 48x48
baseplate). Hence, I started with the intention of making it exactly 3 bricks
high.

However, when it came to the path shortly thereafter, I realized that I wanted
the tan path to be sunken into the green (after all, that's the way it SHOULD
be anyway). Hence, I added a 1 plate layer of regular plates under the top
layer of green bricks, but NOT under the tan bricks used in the path. And as
for the slopes, I actually tended to step down 1 plate, then 2 plates, as I
went from 3.3 brick height to 3 brick height to 2.3 brick height. Then, I
filled in some of the 2 plate gaps with green plates to give it a nicer
feel...

How high is your hill, and how many bricks, roughly, do you think went
into it?  What are good sources for the green, grey, brown and tan
bricks and plates you use?

The maximum height of the hill (as just said) is 3 bricks and 1 plate high,
standing on a 48x48 grey baseplate. As for brick counts, it's a little hard to
guess, I suppose... maybe about 2-3 thousand? Underneath the hill sits a
lattice of mostly 2x4 bricks, with no more than a 2x2 hole in any place going
down to the baseplate. Some areas (close to detailed parts near the path and
the stream) are also more filled in to allow for more flexibility and
support... Just to give a rough description of what you can't see in the
pics :)

As for sources--
Green:
6 6097's (baseplates)
8? 6094's (more 8x8 baseplates)
11? 3033's
And a couple other piddley sets. I didn't actually get any of the service
packs or bulk packs in green as of yet...

Grey:
LOTS of places. Primarily Classic castle sets, but also classic space, about
12 grey service packs, lots of SW sets, Rock Raiders, Native American sets,
and probably lots more... no one recommended source though... Someday I'll
have to get a picture of all my grey creations all together-- the gatehouse,
two wall sections, the AT-AT, and my Mech are still up (along with all the
chimneys and token grey buildings). That's probably the one color I have yet
to run out of (well-- ok, I haven't run out of red or black or yellow, but I
haven't really ever tried to make anything grand out of those colors :)

Brown:
Well, previously I always had very little brown. BUT the droid fighter, the
MTT, and the main Dino Island set made for lots more brown... Also, Rapid
River Village (Wild West) is a great source of 1x1's in brown, as well as a
few green bricks, LOTS of light grey burps, 8x6? blue slopes, tan baseplates,
and more grey bricks. And they're on sale! :)

Tan:
Hmm... the newer SW sets have lots of 1x2's in tan (especially the MTT). I
also have 4 5988's (Pharoah's Forbidden Ruins) which helped with some 2x2's
and 2x4's... Another good source (1x1's and 1x3's) is the Oasis Ambush set
(I've got 16 of these now, I think?) It's also got some tan plates as well
(and I like the extra gold and the skeleton). As for plates, there's also the
Snowspeeder, the Landspeeder (probably the best deal), and the AAT.

Anyway, hope that helps :)

DaveE