 Castle / 4452
Re: Insights from a trip to France...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:11:49 GMT

David Eaton <deaton@intdata.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
Ftn4z9.3x1@lugnet.com...
(snip)
___

C |
A |   Wooden beams
S o=====,
T |     |
L |     | <-- chain
E |     |
---o====='
      Drawbridge

My recent castle, Estuary Stronghold, coincidentally does have a drawbridge
of this design. In fact it has a beam&chain on only one side of the bridge.
This was used on smaller (light) drawbridges and I preferred it because of
its asymmetric design.

Unfortunately the drawbridge doesn't stand out in any of the pics that are
currently on my web site. But you can just discern the construction in this
picture:
http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/models/buildings/stronghold/pi
ctour.cfm?Pic=iii24

Or take the general entrance:
http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/models/

(snip)

Insight number 5: (the last one) Randomness!
All the castles were very oddly built. There was very little if any • symetry
(sp?) in a castle, except maybe within a single tower or single "chunk" of
wall... There were always odd angles and turns in the walls, very few • right
angles, and mostly rounded towers as opposed to square ones... It makes
modelling them accurately in Lego a new feat of genius!

This was exactly my *angle* while building Estuary Stronghold :-)

Eric Brok
http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/