 Castle / 4414
Re: Insights from a trip to France...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Insight number 2: Roofs (not really strictly castle related)
An interesting thing I always wondered about was roof color was why TLC • always
seemed to just make RED roofs. Here in the US, most roofs are black. Or • grey.
Or dark grey. Sure, you find a red one now and again, but how come the only
roof piece Lego made in bulk was in red? Wouldn't black be more generic? • Well,
there appeared to be a LOT of red-ish, ceramic tiled roofs in France.

LOL! I didn't realize that Americans don't know about red ceramic roof-tiles.
These are a standard in many, many European countries, probably because of • the
abundance of clay in the area and the relatively strong structure they give.
(I took a ceramics class for three years; believe me, those things are STRONG
when constructed well and burned).
You will always see the "white-washed, red-roof" villages spattered around
Europe's less-urban areas. You can see quite a few in Israel too, but less
(because we don't have snow, we don't *really* need sloping roofs :-).

*Some* Americans.  It depends on the building practice of the region - red
"spanish tile" is all over southern California (much of it actually concrete
these days).  Castle roofing could also be slate or lead, but one can carry
drab colors too far.

It stands
to reason that Lego being located in Denmark would build its standard roofs • in
red. Maybe these were popular all the way back through the Middle Ages? I
don't
know... but at least it makes red roofs more plausible. It made me happy to
realize that Lego's bright (and to me unrealistic) choice in colored roofs • was
based in reality.

Yes, definitely based on reality.

Being from Australia, when I visited Canada 4 yrs ago, I was surprised to see
shingles and black roofs.....that's wierd to me, as nearlly ALL our roofs are
red tiles...... we have ALOT of clay here....and no snow....every city you fly
over here, is like a sea of red.....!!!!