 Castle / 2768
Re: Hill landscape...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 06:15:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
I'm almost done with this hill landscaping I'm doing. It's for my first
chapter, and (due to my lack of pieces in any color, especially green) is only
3.3 studs high and approx. 32x32 in the widest places.

Has anyone done this before, and can give some tips I can draw upon to my 'lil
hill? (It's actually only a hilltop (1), but whatever)...

Because I don't have enough plates, I'm using as much vegetation as possible
without causing ridicule, in order to hide cracks, etc. LMK if you have other
suggestions.

(some of/most of these you've probably already figured out, but it doesn't hurt
to mention them)

Vary your elevations.  Don't have the top of the hill right in the middle, and
don't have the sides symmetrical.

Mix colors.  If your selection of green & brown is as limiting as mine, use
some black and grey here and there.  Gives it a stony, highlands sort of look.

Use those non-hill colors(like red and blue and white)to build up the base, and
make your hill higher.  If it's not going to be visible once the model's
complete, it doesn't matter what color it is.

Putting trees on top, bushes mid-way down, and shorter vegatation on the ground
will make it appear more hill-like that it actually is.

Using the "leaves" from the various (dark)forest(man) sets straight on the
ground is a great way of breaking up flat terrain and making things look more
natural. (they also make cool ivy creeping up a castle wall)

If you're short on plates, don't use them as shorter bricks, consider using
them attached to hinges or the like to "simulate" slopes.  This can help
conserve your bricks and let you build it higher, too.

Build a baseplate into the top.  It can be a little tricky, but it saves a
whole lot of bricks, because you can make the center hollow.

Hope that helps!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

(ps: you can see some of these tricks on these models (first two mine, last a
friend of mine's):

  http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/mm1.jpg
  http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/mm2.jpg
  http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/water.jpg

These use more of a rocky/BURP sort of style, but you can see where some of the
things I mentioned above got learned, sometimes the hard way. ;)