 Castle / 2344
Re: [CW] Too many wizards???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:33:29 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Franklin W. Cain writes:

The title of this thread reminds me of the excellent novel,
_Too Many Magicians_ by Randall Garrett (I think).  It's a
classic 'locked-room' murder mystery with a twist - it
happens in a world where magic works, at a convention of
wizards.  And yet, it's still a mystery how the murder is
committed...

In a message in another thread,
someone made a comment that we should not have
too many mages/wizards in our armies.

That was me.  I didn't want to stomp on any feet, so I'll
elucidate further below.

Unfortunately, in the "army" (actually, population)
that I'm building, I've already got a dozen or so wizards,
most of them "bad guys", and I'm in the process of making
a few more. • <snip>
Thus, as I see it, if I want to build an army worthy of
(in-character) respect, I'm stuck with using the wizards
and dragons as the main source of strength for my army.

First, I don't *necessarily* see this as a problem.  If
someone were fielding an army of a hundred troops *and*
said that every one was a trained master magician that
was the equal of Mephisto - then it would seem to me
like they were being a little bit unrealistic.

Remember that the chief goal of CW is for everyone to
have fun, and while one person may have fun having an
indestructible army of warrior-mages, it won't be fun
for the people who have to deal with them. (I realize
that's not what you're doing, Franklin, just making a
point.)

So I personally don't think your cadre of wizards is a
problem unless you want each of your wizards to also be
the most powerful mages on the planet.  This is especially
true since your army has other weak points - it's size,
for example.

Perfect people and things are boring to write - or to read
- about.  It is the flaws that make them interesting. 8)