 Castle / 20494
20493  |  20495
Subject:
Skeletal Balrog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:24:15 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Before there was Brikwars, there were ... lead miniatures and a Frankenstein-esque ruleset cobbled-together from Dungeons and Dragons source material. At that time most of my spending money was being sunk into this pleasantly soft yet toxic metal, and the resulting armies were impressive to behold. I had built up a large undead army, with skeletons of all sorts: skeletal war elephants, skeletal dragons, skeletal lycanthropes, skeletal giants, skeletal troops ... but my favorite miniature was always the skeletal balrog from the Ral Partha boxed set “Skeletal Legions of the Liche King”:

Collecting all of my little white bits together I decided to have a go at the concept in LEGO. The result:

(click on picture above to link to the gallery)

The skeletal balrog made its debut in an October 23rd Halloween-themed Brikwars game. Unfortunately by the time the characters found it they were hurting and on the verge of going insane, so the balrog remained a statue rather than come to unlife.

It’s quite articulated, very posable, and relatively sturdy. I’ve dropped it a number of times and repairs are usually minor. Balance is occasionally as issue due to the small size of the feet, but the minifig-hand-toe-talons actually work wonders in providing support.

Also depicted is a large three-headed flail it can tote around. Now I just need to get my hands on a flaming Bionicale sword ...

Please LMKWYT!

Thanks,

.s