 Castle / 2021
Re: [CW] FAQ - War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:32:30 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Alright ... It seems like this issue needs to be addressed sooner or later,
and I guess now is as good of a time as any to do it:

Q.  Why no dice?

A.  Too complicated (for us Math majors) and I don't want grudges to
develop.  Also - how would we determine who has a big army?  And although
someone might now have a big army, if they have a fortress that is pretty hard
to get to, how does one counter for that?  Storylines allow us to get as close
to what we want as possible.
Fair?

I think wargaming should be allowed if both participants agree to it.  I wuld
certainly enjoy it every once in a while.  Both participants would have to
agree to the rules beforehand, of course.

Q.  How do I record what happens in a war?

A.  Well, this has the opportunity to be one of the most creative aspects of
CW.  For example, if Verneer and his men choose to attack and pillage Eric
K's village house (or maybe David E's village) looking for food to supply the
Gryphon's Nest for winter, I could send all those figures to Eric or Dave, let
him take those pictures, and have him send the figs back.

Hmmm...  This got  me thinking.  Many of us live on the East Coast (Me, Pawel,
Craig, Shiri, Eric, Dave), so maybe we should have a Legofest this summer,
where we could do some Large Scale battles.  'Course, being a Legofest, It'd be
open to non-castle people.  Hmmm, maybe I'll post this to org.us.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

  or a castle lego-fest, even!

  the wars in CW are more plot devices more than anything else. experience
from wargaming will only help your war~stories read better. we're keeping
the framework for stories as free form as possible to allow each individual
ultimate control over how much/ little parpticipation his/her realms will
have with others'.

  where in our world, history is written by the victors, in CW, history is
written by the losers! this is to insure other storytellers can't do
anything to our characters or structures that we don't want done.

  in each members' realm, that individual storyteller is the law, and what
he/she says, goes for his/her storylines and characters. the crossover
storylines (war is just one example!) involving two or more creators will
work through one hard and fast CW law; the Law of Three C's ~ Cooperation,
Courtesy, and Creativity. sometimes i think lego fans are the only humans on
this planet capable of living by all three of these ideals.

  much more, later ~ craig~

Re: [CW] FAQ - War
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes: • [snip]
Hmmm...  This got  me thinking.  Many of us live on the East Coast (Me,
Pawel,
Craig, Shiri, Eric, Dave), so maybe we should have a Legofest this summer,
where we could do some Large Scale battles.  'Course, being a Legofest, It'd
be
open to non-castle people.  Hmmm, maybe I'll post this to org.us.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

or a castle lego-fest, even!

I'd love to! But do it close to Boston - I can't drive. Maybe I can carpool
with Eric or Dave... :-)

the wars in CW are more plot devices more than anything else. experience
from wargaming will only help your war~stories read better. we're keeping
the framework for stories as free form as possible to allow each individual
ultimate control over how much/ little parpticipation his/her realms will
have with others'.

where in our world, history is written by the victors, in CW, history is
written by the losers! this is to insure other storytellers can't do
anything to our characters or structures that we don't want done.

in each members' realm, that individual storyteller is the law, and what
he/she says, goes for his/her storylines and characters. the crossover
storylines (war is just one example!) involving two or more creators will
work through one hard and fast CW law; the Law of Three C's ~ Cooperation,
Courtesy, and Creativity.

I so, SO agree. No one can change other people's stuff. I suggest that when a
war/other crossover is held and sent to Pawel/Craig then a copy of it is sent
to both members for approval before put online, to avoid problems,  etc.

sometimes i think lego fans are the only humans on
this planet capable of living by all three of these ideals.

LOL...

much more, later ~ craig~

Can't wait!

-Shiri
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/

Re: [CW] FAQ - War
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
Hmmm...  This got  me thinking.  Many of us live on the East Coast (Me,
Pawel, Craig, Shiri, Eric, Dave), so maybe we should have a Legofest this
summer, where we could do some Large Scale battles.  'Course, being a
Legofest, It'd be open to non-castle people.  Hmmm, maybe I'll post this to
org.us.

or a castle lego-fest, even!

Well, I think it'd be fun to get as many people as possible to come.  A general
Legofest would be ideal for that.  :)

the wars in CW are more plot devices more than anything else. experience
from wargaming will only help your war~stories read better. we're keeping
the framework for stories as free form as possible to allow each individual
ultimate control over how much/ little parpticipation his/her realms will
have with others'.

True, but I'm looking at wargaming from the "fun" aspect.  I think it would be
fun.  ;)

where in our world, history is written by the victors, in CW, history is
written by the losers! this is to insure other storytellers can't do
anything to our characters or structures that we don't want done.

Right.  In a Castleworld Wargame, there would have to be special rules about
the heroes surviving.  FTR, I'm not advocating all wars should be resolved by
wargaiming, I just don't want it prohibited if *all* involved members want to
do it.  For example, Shiri and Eric decide that they want to join forces with
Auld Dragon and annihilate my Necromancer's forces.  If we all want to wargame,
then I think we should be allowed to.  But if Eric or Shiri don't, then we
resolve it normally.  :)

Jeff

Re: [CW] FAQ - War
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes: • [snip]
Hmmm...  This got  me thinking.  Many of us live on the East Coast (Me,
Pawel,
Craig, Shiri, Eric, Dave), so maybe we should have a Legofest this summer,
where we could do some Large Scale battles.  'Course, being a Legofest, It'd
be
open to non-castle people.  Hmmm, maybe I'll post this to org.us.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

or a castle lego-fest, even!

I'd love to! But do it close to Boston - I can't drive. Maybe I can carpool
with Eric or Dave... :-)

I was thinking near where I live (outside Washington DC), as that is pretty
central to the east coast and I shouldn't have too much trouble finding
somewhere to hold it.  As an added bonus, people could take a trip to the
Outlet Store, too.  ;)

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

Castle (?) Legofest? (was: Re: [CW] FAQ - War)
[...]

Oooh! The prospect of DC itself is exciting, as I've only been there when I
was three and naturally don't remember much ;-)
+ Outlet Store? Where is it? I'd love that too!
Again, I can't drive (being 15.5 y/o) and making my dad drive me there is,
well, hmm, a bit too much? If other bostonian AFOLs will be coming, I hope
they won't mind driving with me in the back seat (or the front seat, next to
the driver ;-)

This definitely seems like A Good Thing. We should decide, though, whether
this will indeed be a Castle-based legofest or an all-theme legofest.
CP to .general

[...]

right! it all depends on the storytellers involved! much of the yarn
spinning occurs "off-world", in e-mails or posts between members.  how it is
handled is entirely up to those involved!  this provides one general
structure for all stories, not just wars!  romance, intrigue, and betrayal
are suggestions of a few others...  in CW, your character(s) cannot be kiled
off by someone else without your consent.  also, a bit different than in
wargaming, characters can suffer grievous mishaps and survive. it's like in
"george of the jungle" when the narrator comes in saying, "don't worry, no
one dies in this story;... they just get really big boo-boos!"  ;-)

  characters can die of old age, but only when a storyteller deems it's
time.  other than that, all characters are as mortal or immortal as you wish!

   later ~ craig~

Re: [CW] FAQ - War
[...]

  ok, i'm quoting from movies too much today...

a bunch of lego fans getting together is more fun than you can imagine!  the
first DixieLUG meeting only whetted my appetite!  like janet sings, in
"rocky horror", "i've tasted blood and i want more! (more, More, MORE!)" i'm
game whenever, wherever, especially if the castle world crowd will be there!

  later ~ craig~

Re: [CW] FAQ - War
[...]

Yep, I agree! Just remember, if you have a story built via e-mail, put it on
CW too so we can all see it! ;-)

also, a bit different than in
wargaming, characters can suffer grievous mishaps and survive. it's like in
"george of the jungle" when the narrator comes in saying, "don't worry, no
one dies in this story;... they just get really big boo-boos!"  ;-)

LOL!
Craig, watch out for that...

Tree... :-)

characters can die of old age, but only when a storyteller deems it's
time.  other than that, all characters are as mortal or immortal as you wish!

Yay!

-Shiri
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/

Re: Castle (?) Legofest? (was: Re: [CW] FAQ - War)
I was thinking near where I live (outside Washington DC), as that is pretty
central to the east coast and I shouldn't have too much trouble finding
somewhere to hold it.  As an added bonus, people could take a trip to the
Outlet Store, too.  ;)

Oooh! The prospect of DC itself is exciting, as I've only been there when I
was three and naturally don't remember much ;-)

Yeah, I love it here.  Having easy access to the Smithsonian is great!  :)

+ Outlet Store? Where is it? I'd love that too!

It's about half an hour south of DC along I-95.  It is in Potomac Mills
Shopping Center, in Virginia.

This definitely seems like A Good Thing. We should decide, though, whether
this will indeed be a Castle-based legofest or an all-theme legofest.
CP to .general

Well, I'd like it to be a general Legofest, and try to set a record for
attendance.  ;)  We could have Large Castle, Train, and Space setups, people
could show off their MOCs, we could have seminars and discussions on Lego
history, building techniques, and Ldraw, and lots of other stuff.  I was gonna
start checking on Recreation Center prices on Monday.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

Re: Castle (?) Legofest? (was: Re: [CW] FAQ - War)
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes: • [snip]
Hmmm...  This got  me thinking.  Many of us live on the East Coast (Me,
Pawel,
Craig, Shiri, Eric, Dave), so maybe we should have a Legofest this summer,
where we could do some Large Scale battles.  'Course, being a Legofest,
It'd
be
open to non-castle people.  Hmmm, maybe I'll post this to org.us.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/

or a castle lego-fest, even!
If you guys are planning on doing something like this you might want to
concider doing it in a high school gym. After all they are not being much used
over the summer.

I'd love to! But do it close to Boston - I can't drive. Maybe I can carpool
with Eric or Dave... :-)

I was thinking near where I live (outside Washington DC), as that is pretty
central to the east coast and I shouldn't have too much trouble finding
somewhere to hold it.  As an added bonus, people could take a trip to the
Outlet Store, too.  ;)
D.C. is a very central point on the eastern seaboard only 10 hours from cities
like boston as well as chicago or even chattanooga(where I go to college) so
not a bad drive for anyone. both northerners and southerners could have an easy
day drive.
[...]

I'm sure it is ;-)

+ Outlet Store? Where is it? I'd love that too!

It's about half an hour south of DC along I-95.  It is in Potomac Mills
Shopping Center, in Virginia.

Oh... I didn't realize that was near DC.

This definitely seems like A Good Thing. We should decide, though, whether
this will indeed be a Castle-based legofest or an all-theme legofest.
CP to .general

Well, I'd like it to be a general Legofest, and try to set a record for
attendance.  ;)  We could have Large Castle, Train, and Space setups, people
could show off their MOCs, we could have seminars and discussions on Lego
history, building techniques, and Ldraw, and lots of other stuff.  I was gonna
start checking on Recreation Center prices on Monday.

Yeah, I think that as much as having a castle-only fest would be fun and cool,
having a BIG fest would be even better...
If we plan this really well, this can be GREAT fun. We can, like you said, put
up different setups with different themes and people's creations.
DC is prolly a pretty good place to conduct this.
Now, about the time - early summertime? Late spring? Around June-July, maybe?

Anyone else up to this?